5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Shifter Question - What shifter do I have here? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Ninety3Coupe

For the record, I am avoiding this little mess, I will just buy a UPR part and try one myself. I like to decide for myself. I listen to the wisdom of others, but I make my own conclusions most of the time.

On to the matter at hand, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. That plate on top looked really weird to me and unlike anything I had seen before. But the cast aluminum base looked really "stock-like" to me. I accept your conclusion as truth.

And ya know what, what the heck. I will give a UPR part a try. Next paycheck I will give it a shot. There gotta be SOMETHING I need, right?

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I know where Adder is comming from, (and no what he said wasn't bashing UPR as a company.....just his personal opinion from his experiece.....he could have been much more of an *** about it......) with the quality of some UPR products but I have no personal experience with them on my cars. One of our members ( I don't remember who....) had a K member or something and it started breaking around the welds. Then he had a terrible experience with the customer service trying to get it taken care of. I wouldn't exactly say its the company's fault because every product is going to have some kind of issue from any maker....I have installed a set of the upper and lower control arms on a buddies Cobra awhile back and they were very nice pieces. Just like I love the way my MAC exhaust sounds but I hate the fact that I have had to reweld every weld around the tubing on my Hpipe and the inlets on my mufflers.....

ANYWAY....OP you are right and it is your choice....it hasn't been mentioned but I have also heard that the MGW is one of the best shifters out there for the T5...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ninety3Coupe
For the record, I am avoiding this little mess, I will just buy a UPR part and try one myself. I like to decide for myself. I listen to the wisdom of others, but I make my own conclusions most of the time.

On to the matter at hand, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. That plate on top looked really weird to me and unlike anything I had seen before. But the cast aluminum base looked really "stock-like" to me. I accept your conclusion as truth.

And ya know what, what the heck. I will give a UPR part a try. Next paycheck I will give it a shot. There gotta be SOMETHING I need, right?

Thanks again.
Thanks for giving us the benefit of the doubt. I just PMed you our coupon code for 10% off of UPR Products. Let me know when you pick something up so I can hear how you like it.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

. I like to decide for myself. I listen to the wisdom of others, but I make my own conclusions most of the time.

WTF?????
Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

LMAO...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Ninety3Coupe

MJR46, are you the same guy that had the confusing comments about my friend dying in a horrible accident? As I recall I thought you had comments then too...

As a matter of fact, it was you. Here is the link in case you forgot. That was pretty harsh dude. And honestly, in pretty bad taste.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...l-bearing.html

Anyway, I am finally old enough (36) to learn lessons from others and heed the advise and lessons learned by the masses. I don't necessarily need to make a mistake myself anymore to learn.

That being said, I also don't fall victim to the mindless folks with blanket statements such as "...that part is total **** and this part is better than yours...". Usually that type of person has a pretty closed mind. And I'd like to think a little more openly.

So to clarify:

I like to decide for myself. <--- I do.

I listen to the wisdom of others, <---- I do.

but I make my own conclusions most of the time. <---Again, I do.

I have seen many, many posts from you on here and you are quite wise in the matters of these cars. I respect your knowledge and appreciate the info you share. We all benefit from it. Thank you.

If I am able to help clarify anything else for you, please do not hesitate to allow me to do so. It's the least I can do.

Last edited by Ninety3Coupe; 09-22-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Anyway, I am finally old enough (36) to learn lessons from others and heed the advise and lessons learned by the masses. I don't necessarily need to make a mistake myself anymore to learn.

That being said, I also don't fall victim to the mindless folks with blanket statements such as "...that part is total **** and this part is better than yours...". Usually that type of person has a pretty closed mind. And I'd like to think a little more openly.

So to clarify:

I like to decide for myself. <--- I do.

I listen to the wisdom of others, <---- I do.

but I make my own conclusions most of the time. <---Again, I do.

I have seen many, many posts from you on here and you are quite wise in the matters of these cars. I respect your knowledge and appreciate the info you share. We all benefit from it. Thank you.

If I am able to help clarify anything else for you, please do not hesitate to allow me to do so. It's the least I can do.
I will only quote what is not jibberish.......with that being said, my point with the first quote is you self-contradict yourself, or maybe it's just your wording of it that makes it appear as such, or may be not.....seems to be your style, kinda like the post how you start out bashing me then close by praising me....contratictory BS again if you ask me, anyway not all parts are created equal if you think I blindly follow internet BS than shame on you, lets just say I have ample experience and time with these cars as well as parts selection, use google, and you'll see what parts are crap, I've been through enough with these cars to know what works. THERE IS NO NEED to reinvent the wheel here with parts selection, there are plenty of people on other forums that can confirm such, and close minded has nothing to do with it, you name the brand, I've either used it or tried it on customers cars, nearly 25 years of trying what doesn't work, so if you like to refer that as being close minded, so be it, I refer to such as experience. Due to conflict of interest and when sponsors are involved I will not take any side in this thread, what I have stated above applies to the complete build of a car. AS far as shifters are concerned, pick your poison, when it comes to and h/c/i and or suspension parts then we can get serious so let me know.

Last edited by mjr46; 09-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Ninety3Coupe

Looks like I need to help again.

I was not referring to you. I was saying, in general, I do not follow those folks. I was not lumping you in as one of the masses.

My statement of "blanket comments" was not directed at you. You quoted something I said - that in all fairness could have been phrased much, much better - and I clarified it for you. In no way, shape or form did I accuse you of this. I clarified my (again, poorly worded) comment. That's it.

I was not bashing you. Just pointing out the last time you had something to say to me. I found it intriguing to say the least and was possibly an insight to "your style". But how would I know? Not really fair to judge someone over the internet now is it?

I do have to say though, I most certainly did not "praise" you. Let us be clear on that point.

The "praise" you suggested I may have for you was actually in fact sincere appreciation for your knowledge. I do in fact appreciate your help. Hell, if we met we'd probably have a beer and have a great time bench racing. Who knows?

You post a lot on here. You have been here a long while. The things you say for the most part are quite insightful and have helped me. I appreciate it. And if you were to tell me you have a strong feeling about a part your opinion is one I would consider.

And we also agree on the parts section you mention here. As far as shifters, pick your poison. Heads, cams and intake ARE in fact an entire different animal. Huge differences there.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

very well so be it, IF and when the time comes and you care to set your car up with some killer suspension, here's a link :
http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Ninety3Coupe

See? This is what I am talking about! Helpful by nature.

I am not much into 1/4 mile stuff, but I do enjoy handling for the street. If you have input for a nice set-up for this I would love to hear it.

I see tons of Eibach and H&R stuff...ehhh... Not interested. I have heard great things about Maximum Motorsports and I had planned on going that route. Have you an opinion on them?

I am continuing to look through the site. Thanks again for the link sir.

Last edited by Ninety3Coupe; 09-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Shifter Question - What shifter do I have here? HELP!