5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Engine dyno time and motor fails us :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Default Engine dyno time and motor fails us :/

welp went to dyno the engine today at the shop, did a long prime on the dry sump pump and ran into issues. The engine held about 10qts while we were running it and that was after we had to add 3 qts after it sucked the tank dry. Well here is the issue the tank only hold 7 qts completely full. You may think well where did the other 3 go? well the cam tunnel is sealed and receives oil through tiny holes on the valley floor and it drains extremely slow (when on the motor is on it needs the cam totally immersed in oil. thus it takes about 2 qts of oil its self after you begin running it. The valve areas also have slow returning oil drains but not as slow. So that is the other quart. Thus when the motor is shut down about 10 minutes later we have 3 qts of oil spilling out of the tank upon start up. NOT GOOD.

So heres what i have to do to remedy the situation I have to call Peterson and get a 6th stage for the dry sump so that we can scavenge the valley area (called ilmor and they said the cam can run almost dry now because I went to a solid roller and not a flat tappet like it was. Along with the stage need a longer rod for the pump and longer bolts no big deal just money.
Second I have to send the top of my tank back to Saldana to have 4-5 inchs added to it so that i can hold the extra 3 qts of oil in the motor after its done running.

any who pretty upset we didnt have it run but glad i found this issue before heading out the track with it
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
welp went to dyno the engine today at the shop, did a long prime on the dry sump pump and ran into issues. The engine held about 10qts while we were running it and that was after we had to add 3 qts after it sucked the tank dry. Well here is the issue the tank only hold 7 qts completely full. You may think well where did the other 3 go? well the cam tunnel is sealed and receives oil through tiny holes on the valley floor and it drains extremely slow (when on the motor is on it needs the cam totally immersed in oil. thus it takes about 2 qts of oil its self after you begin running it. The valve areas also have slow returning oil drains but not as slow. So that is the other quart. Thus when the motor is shut down about 10 minutes later we have 3 qts of oil spilling out of the tank upon start up. NOT GOOD.

So heres what i have to do to remedy the situation I have to call Peterson and get a 6th stage for the dry sump so that we can scavenge the valley area (called ilmor and they said the cam can run almost dry now because I went to a solid roller and not a flat tappet like it was. Along with the stage need a longer rod for the pump and longer bolts no big deal just money.
Second I have to send the top of my tank back to Saldana to have 4-5 inchs added to it so that i can hold the extra 3 qts of oil in the motor after its done running.

any who pretty upset we didnt have it run but glad i found this issue before heading out the track with it
I would say its nickel and dimeing you but we talked about how expensive the dry sump stuff is before
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

shoulda just stuck to a SBF... lol

****ty luck man, I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
shoulda just stuck to a SBF... lol

****ty luck man, I hope you get it sorted out.
lmfao yea a standard sbf not this nascar ****. Thanks man ill have it figured out here in about a week once im back from costa rica for a boat race
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

What they told you about the solid roller cam not needing much oil is true but it still needs 'some'.
What I always liked about engine dynos is that any and all problems can be sorted out there and not after the engine is in the car.
That dyno time is expensive but well worth it..........
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
What they told you about the solid roller cam not needing much oil is true but it still needs 'some'.
What I always liked about engine dynos is that any and all problems can be sorted out there and not after the engine is in the car.
That dyno time is expensive but well worth it..........
True Tinman, it does require oil still but it does not have to be submerged in it