5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Permanent Plans Changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blkside
Thanks for the input... obviously other than opinion you have nothing in there to state why? Very helpful in fact.. Oh wait no its not. I love opinions but without any reasoning behind them , all you are doing is wasting server space.

Im all open to suggestions and ideas. This was a worse case scenario of what things would cost if I couldnt source used or something better. I never left LMRs website just for ease of purchase.

Thanks again...
PREVENTATIVE (Things Im doing while I am home on vacation so its more reliable and runs smoother)

87-95 Ignition Tune Up Kit
86-95 MSD Tfi Ignition Coil
BBK Fenderwell CAI
86-95 Fuel System Kit (replacing the whole fuel system? I don't think that's really necessary, I would wait till you're done modifying to actually make the changes to the fuel side.)
79-04 Clutch Cable Adjuster (wait to see if your cable actually needs adjusting)
79-95 Mustang Oil Change Kit
87-93 Hawk HP Plus Front Pads (these are a waste. Just go with a good ceramic brake pad.
79-93 Centric Rear Drum Shoes aren't you getting a disc brake conversion?

PERFORMANCE BUILD (Where I waste too much money)
FRPP 306 Cu In Crate Motor do you really need a crate motor? you have a perfectly good engine sitting in the car right now. I understand you want a go-fast motor, but there's really no need to buy a whole new engine when you can simply get a good top-end kit or something, save a ton of dough, and be just as fast.
75mm BBK Throttle Body w.EGR Spacer
75MM BBK Throttle Body Gaskets
Trick Flow Black Street Burner Intake
BBK Liquid Filled Fuel Pressure Gauge
86-93 BBK High Flow Aluminum Fuel Rail this is just cosmetic and I wouldn't spend that kind of money there, but that's on you
79-93 BBK Black Steel Underdrive Pulley Kit
FRPP Smog Pump Eliminator you can MAKE this
UPR Battery Relocation Kit
PA Performance 130 Amp Alternator why the crazy alternator? I see nothing here about a need for it
Mishimoto High Performance Radiator Kit go with a champion radiator off ebay. Looks great, performs great at half the cost
79-93 Aluminum Radiator Shroud
79-93 UPR Stainless Radiator Cover again, purely cosmetic but if you want to spend the money on it...
83-95 Prothane 5.0L Urethane Motor Mounts In my experience the best motor mounts for these motors are stock mounts with a bolt drilled through the center
MSD 6AL-2 Ignition Box
MSD Billet RTR Distributor
91-95 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
86-00 K&N Crank Case Filter Just get a cheap one of these, it really won't matter
Engine Sensor Replacement Kit wait and see if you need to replace any sensors first.
BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers
BBK Catted H-pipe
89-93 SLP LoudMouth Catback Exhaust

87-93 5 Lug Brake Disc Conversion
FRPP 79-95 Aluminum Driveshaft
Pro 5.0 Short Shifter
Hurst Shift **** (Black Billiard)
FRPP 3.73 Rear End Kit I would never buy gears for a car until you have some seat time

Eibach Pro Kit Plus
Maximum Motorsports Stiffening Package
85-93 Prothane Total bushing Kit
Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar kit
Torque Box Reinforcements

Black SVE Deep Dish Wheel & Nitto Kit - 17X9/10

Corbeau Rear Seat Upholstery
Corbeau TRS Reclining Race Seats
90-93 Titanium Gray Front Seat Belt Repl. Kit
90-93 Titanium Gray Rear Seat Belt Repl. Kit
Corbeau Seat Mounts (Qty- 2 @29.99)
Corbeau Sliders (Qty- 2 @109.99)
Corbeau 2" Race Harnesses (Qty- 2 @109.99)
90-92 Titanium Gray Replacement Carpet
90-92 Titanium Gray 5.0 Logo Floor Mats
90-92 Titanium Gray Hatch Carpet

Drivers Side Replacement Fender
L/H Forward Fender Moulding
L/H Aft Fender Moulding
87-93 2" Cowl Inducted Hood
83-93 Vent Gard Window Rain Deflectors

Honestly there is a lot of stuff there that I like to call "win more". What I would do is take your list and break it down into NEED and WANT. Even after you've done that, I would order NOTHING until you've actually gotten out of the sandbox and driven the car for at least a month. I've spent my time overseas as well and I know the kind of money contractors can build up over there, but spend it wisely. I promise you that when you spend all this dough on this car you'll not be happy down the road. All that said, this is simply MY opinion and at the end of the day, it's your dollar you're spending. Do what you will be happy with.

Last edited by jojobanks; 01-16-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Now that is exactly what I have planned. But this is the worse case scenario. This list dictates spending a few more weeks out here to cover it. I dont plan on ordering anything other than the parts needed to service the car when I get home.

I do plan on doing a conversion but if the rear drums are shot when I get home, spending 18.00 for new shoes makes sense. The FUEL KIT is nothing more than pump,filter and injectors. Its less money to get the new kit than it would be to get the ones currently in there flow matched by someone.

The CC filter is 19.00, to me that is cheap. I plan on having a decent stereo hence the slight bump in alternator,and thats based off everyone on the forums stating stock is barely good enough for the stock car. But like I said, nothing is happening other than an oil change,brakes if needed and some fluid flushes. I never take PO's words on used cars. Rather be safe and spend a bill to service it than having something let go because I am negligent. Oh and as far as the clutch cable goes, my best friend dropped it off at my house and is pretty sure it needs adjusting.

I really appreciate the input behind the opinion. Im still early in the planning stages and believe me I change my mind alot during builds. I was simply gonna do bolt ons to my Evo and there isnt a stock part left on that car now besides the windshield wipers...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Wow for 17 Grand you could buy a Cobra. Sell the fox and get one hell of a suspension.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

I would rather build something how I want it. And again this is a worse case scenario type list. I needed to know how much to bank away cause I plan on taking a couple months off and work on her as much as I can myself.

Ive been looking at building a 5.0 with low comp pistons, a good set of heads and then boosting it.

This list wasnt put up here for evaluation and is by no means final, its a reference.

I think the point is being missed here. I can pay cash for a Boss 302 but I already have a retarded fast newer vehicle. I want something I can teach my kids how to wrench and maybe one day they will get to have it for themselves. Its the experience with my sons and the fact I can do it myself makes it that much more worthwhile.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

1st purchases are made...

just everything to change all the fluids and filters.

Im gonna try to see how the stuff I use in my Evo does in the LX

Redline 75W90 (Diff)
Redline D4 ATF (T5)
Redline Water Wetter (self explanatory)
Redline Fuel System Cleaner
Mobil 1 High Mileage Syn 5w-30 (rocket science not needed)
Motul DOT 5.1 (I use RBF600 in the Evo but Im sure this will be fine for now)
K&N Oil Filter
Fram Fuel Filter
NGK V Power Copper Plugs
Duralast Front Pads and Rear Shoes (just to last until the conversion)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I recommend doing subframe connecters as your first performance upgrade before anything else.

Also, do a little research regarding your rear suspension. You may find that torque box reinforcements and upper control arms are not necessary.

What are you mounting the racing harnesses to? I don't see a roll-cage in your list. If you do get a racing harness, seat-belts become obsolete, so don't buy a repair/replacement kit.

Last edited by Tony71502; 01-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Well I am still doing more research and as I am doing that I am coming across some nice kits as well as some serious changes to my initial list. I found MM again and am really digging their "Handling Box" and for 2400.00 its pretty complete. I could order it and not have to chase down a thing.

Waiting for the quote on my Dart Block motor. Im a little nervous about it but I have to at least see what he wants. I figure if that is more than I want to spend than the 6700.00 Boss 302 FRPP crate motor shoud be sufficient to hold a few pounds of boost. I am still looking at what a "Seasoned 302" motor will handle. Whatever it is I am looking for longevity.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Ok well I have spent time doing more research and have slowly started making adjustments to what I want to do.

I am going to start stockpiling parts in anticipation of going home in April... I am trying to only have her down for a day or 2 at a time so I can enjoy driving her and spending time with my boys teaching them about cars.

So far I have purchased the following -

BBK Ceramic Coated Headers
BBK H Pipe
BBK Fenderwell Intake Kit
Mishimoto Radiator Hose Kit
MSD Blaster TFI Coil
Taylor Cap and Rotor
FRPP Blue Plug Wires
Redline 75W90 (Diff)
Redline D4 ATF (T5)
Redline Water Wetter (self explanatory)
Redline Fuel System Cleaner
Mobil 1 High Mileage Syn 5w-30
Motul DOT 5.1
K&N Oil Filter
Fram Fuel Filter
NGK V Power Copper Plugs
Duralast Front Pads and Rear Shoes (just to last until the conversion)

Next Big purchases on my list are the following -

MM Road and Track Grip Package
5 Lug Disc Conversion
SLP Loudmouth Catback
TFS Street Burner Intake Kit w/ Throttle Body
SVE Wheel and Tire Package

Ill keep doing research and figure out where to go from here.. I am going to do all of the non performance stuff slowly along the build.

Not sure what the plan is for the engine but its gonna either be a 306 crate swap or add an SC for now and change it when it blows... well see I have time to play around.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

What about the rear-end?
OI mean the Tru-Trac unit. Being 21 years old it may need some attention.
BTW, IMHO Red line products with the exception of Wetter Water are kind of a waste of money.........
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Im adressing things as I go along. I have had nothing but good results with them in my Evo so I wanted to see if it would help at all in the LX.

The rearend I havent figured out what I am going to do out back, no rush cause I will buy parts as I go and once I gather up the majority, then modding will begin..

Quick Reply: Permanent Plans Changed