5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Permanent Plans Changed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

FRPP smog pump elimintor kit is just a bracket, isn't it? To provide a pullley in place of the smog pump... I'm running no smog pump with no eliminator pulley. Just have to get a shorter belt and reroute it. It cleans up the engine bay that way.

Why steel underdrives instead of aluminum?

I'm almost positive the MM package eliminates the upper control arms, so those and reinforcements are not needed.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Yeah that original list is pretty much out the window. I am going step by step and making adjustments as needed. Once I get back to the house I am going to start a real build thread with pics and what I get accomplished during the week.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride man! The similar thing happened to me before I bought my 1994 GT except it was my uncle who found it for me (When I was about 15 minutes away from buying an 89.) VERY glad I didn't go through with the 89, just way too much work needed to get it back in the game..And now I LOVE my 94

Awesome to see a build thread started, Just remember you'll get a million and a half opinions on parts you want to buy but the only opinion to truly matter is yours..If a part was a waste of money and you aren't happy with it, well then you learned. Live and learn is the philosophy I go by..Unless of course you are strapped for cash in which case i'd take the opinions of some of the guys on here who know their stuff about these cars.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Live and learn by spending money on unnecessary or useless parts is the worst god damn thing I have ever heard.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Live and learn by spending money on unnecessary or useless parts is the worst god damn thing I have ever heard.
It's all opinions here, I personally would never buy parts for my car without consulting with an expert (Or most the Brainiacs on this forum) to know without a doubt that it was well worth the money. Not to mention I'm still a student with limited funds and not even experience or knowledge to make justifiable decisions on my own..

With that being said, What I was trying to get at was that blkside should just decide exactly what HE wants with HIS car, and if he buys something that just doesn't do what he had originally planned, well then he knows what not to do next time.

Dont get me wrong I think its a stupid idea to buy parts that may just be aesthetically appealing and serve no real purpose, but if you have the cash (which some people have just unbelievable amounts of money and can buy whatever it is they please) then why not?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
blkside
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the comments. I am learning as I go and I only buy parts that are high quality and serve a purpose, hence the reason why I am no longer running with the last list. I have a tendency to take things from DD to cover car obviously on a whim and hopefully this doesnt get that way. But everything on my last car is functional and I plan to follow the same here.

Things like the eliminator pulleys I have already discovered are useless with the use of shorter belts so once the Smog and possibly the AC is gone then I will be measuring and purchasing what I need. I am going for an extremely clean,well planned out DD and am trying to do most of it in my garage.

We shall see....
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You said you were teaching your boys how... tell them to hold the idler pulley in position with a crowbar and then use a string pulled taunt to measure the length needed for the new belt routing. I had no help doing mine and had to run back and forth to the parts store about 3 times to get the right size belt. Despite what people tell you not all belt routing uses the same length belt... production tolerances.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Good Luck with your project and stay safe. I'm leaving Afghanistan next month...........
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

Thanks Tony... I am lucky I will always have a helper. My stepson is 17, and will do anything so he gets to drive, my next monster is 6 and my baby is 3. So I have a minimum of 15 years of assistance,whether they want to or not. The 3 year old is a car nut, loves daddys Evo and Mustang.

Lopez, where you at.. Im waiting out this last 45 days in Shank...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:33 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blkside
Thanks Tony... I am lucky I will always have a helper. My stepson is 17, and will do anything so he gets to drive, my next monster is 6 and my baby is 3. So I have a minimum of 15 years of assistance,whether they want to or not. The 3 year old is a car nut, loves daddys Evo and Mustang.

Lopez, where you at.. Im waiting out this last 45 days in Shank...
Damn bro, I'm right up the street at COP McClain, LOL... I was at Pule-Alam for a few months, and one of our platoons is at Shank now....I think, we will stop there before heading out to BAF (hopefully, i need to cop some fake gucci and rolex watches, lol)...Well, good thing it's winter, no more IDF for you guys out there

I was lookin at your profile, you're a soldier or contract worker right???

Last edited by a_lopez1975; 02-23-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Permanent Plans Changed