5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

heads and intake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

ok gotcha which would be a better choice street burner or track heat? the only reason i was looking at that setup is because a buddy of mine bought it and decided to go carb. so its just sitting there.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

a 302 doesn't really need a whole lot of air to run good and be streetable. And they don't need 36lb injectors. If all those parts were going on a big stroker motor, it may work better. You could get all those parts but, the intake will kill tq down low and you would probably have to have it tuned to get those injectors to work for you.

I like the track heat over the other choice.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

I honestly was going to put my stock injecters back it but since it was all with the setup i was gonna buy that. if i am not mistaking the cobra comes with 24lb injectors which will work with plenty of hp
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

yeah, they are. If I had a cobra, I would focus more on other things like gears and exhaust.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 AM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

It already has gears i dont know which ones. it also has full exhaust with headers. so what would you do next Trim?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Well, I personally wouldn't do anything to engine itself until it needed a rebuild. A buddy of mine has a 89 with a carb'ed 306 and some gt40 heads that have been cut to max (or more) and a small cam in it. He has a 3.73 gear in the rear with a full spool and mt drag radials on it. It has subframes connectors, 4cylinder springs and some worn out shocks on it.

From a dead stop he could launch the car at 3500 rpm on a backroad and the car will dead hook. Even though the car only makes probably 300 to the wheels, it felt like the fastest street car in the world from a dead stop on the highway.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

What are you planning??? That intakes runner size and volume dwarf the runners in the gt heads by 3 times! you need a good aluminum head for them, the edelbrock vic jrs have a perfect port match for the r series!

If you are on a budget just freshen the gaskets and add a 100shot and ride out!

Or you could gasket match the heads while there off and get them milled and a 3angle vlv job done and if money permits a small cam and intake with a new tb with that 100shot! you can run 8.30`s for less than 1k if you do it right. You need to know the gear though and then go from there!

I have done plenty of minor cheap budget builds for people and all the way to as much as 8k for the engine alone depends on what you want and what your wallet looks like!

If you had the money you could bore it .040 to a 308 with the head work cam and intake with a 100shot or so and not break 1500 and go faster like 8.teens or so pending driver!

a used cobra or gt intake a used ecam or tfs stg 1 with the 308 and 500$ nitrous kit and you will have fun!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

I am not doing any motor work right now. its just if i could get that setup cheap from my buddy i was gonna do that until i built the motor. i am going aperence first. corbra r hood paint and a system. prally a little cheater kit shocks and a lowering kit. but the car runs to good to pull the engine right now. but when i do build it i have a block bored .30 over ready to build right now and i am going to but a balanced eagle kit and trick flow upper stuff (h,i,c). but not untill it needs it.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If you have another engine on the stand, buy the stuff If you know what you want to build. I am like you on the cobra engine, there is no sense in tearing down a good running engine. Engines tear up and it is always nice to have a spare.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

i will start the build when i have to. its to hard to have an engine sitting there ready to install and not put it in.

Quick Reply: heads and intake question