5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

question on next mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

stock block??
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

yeah.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

i know for a fact that stock blocks will hold 6.20s in the 1/8th and i dont think that motor will break high 6's
Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by majohns
i know for a fact that stock blocks will hold 6.20s in the 1/8th and i dont think that motor will break high 6's
I was doing high 6's with only a 100 shot on my 347, you're pushing the limits with the n02....mine at the end of the 1320 felt like it was going to gernade, I was turning some rpm's as well, I've yet to crack it but with the no2 it's just a matter of time. Fyi, I've seen them let go with higher times, there is no et or hp range that they are good too, it is in the tune and keep the rpm's under 6500 for longevity good luck
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

yea i have a buddy that has used every stock 302 block made and has yet to go under 6.20 and thats with a s2 stage 250 shot. in their drag car notch back. the last one they used split the block in half when they unbolted the intake to block fell into 2 pieces. lol yea i will run it on the motor first before i decide to go with the bottle. at the end of the day is still my DD
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by majohns
yea i have a buddy that has used every stock 302 block made and has yet to go under 6.20 and thats with a s2 stage 250 shot. in their drag car notch back. the last one they used split the block in half when they unbolted the intake to block fell into 2 pieces. lol yea i will run it on the motor first before i decide to go with the bottle. at the end of the day is still my DD
good thing for me is mine isn't my daily driver, mine has been down 8 months waiting for a set of custom 203cc tfs tw heads to arrive with a ported vic jr, it blew the head gaskets back in august so I got the bright idea to try to make it faster...lol, probably gonna split it now..lol
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

Geez tell them to hurry the hell up lol
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

if its a DD i would focus on interior. tunes anr important to me. i would replace stock hu, replace all speakers and a 4ch amp for them... search amazon and you can really score deals.. i got a $1200 retail system in my escape that i got off amazon and Ebay for less then your $400 budget. ( double din hu, front and rear infinity components, 4ch 400.1 amp, 10" sub sealed box, 500w mono sub amp, 4 gauge amp kits, boom mat sound dampner to do doors, hatch door, floor in rear. and rear sides behind plastics, built a false floor in the back wile i was there out of 2x3's and 3/4" mdf. )

or replace the seats... gauges, or white faces gauges, lowering springs, rear slicks for the track, tint, a good detail job inside and out..

i could think of a few more but drawing a blank.. thinking about dinner lol....

Last edited by oldfordisbetter; 04-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Have you took the car to the track yet to see what it will run?

The mph calculator is not really a good estimate of gears. The only real way is to count the teeth on the ring gear. You could try jacking the rear and counting how many times the driveshaft turns with one wheel spin. So in theory, 3.75 turns of the drive shaft should be around a 3.73 gear. I have never tried that way so, I don't really know how accurate it is.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

oldford- i have an after market HU but its **** so i am getting a new one in the next couple of weeks. also, i am planing on a kicker 10" L7 in a ported box and a kicker dx500.1 amp and a rockford fosgate 4 gauge wiring kit. prally going with alpine head unit. i am also have the old tint ripped off and doing limo on rear and 1/4 windows and 20% on the front sides. once i get the windshield replaced i will get a limo strip. seats are in great shape i was going to do black leather but i read that in the 95 cobras only 66 were made with white paint and saddle (cloth) interior so i think i am gonna keep it that way. cobras come stock with white faced gauges also. a lowering kit with all new shocks and control arms is in the near future.

trimdrip- i know about pulling the cover off and counting gears. on my last mustang i did that and put the wrong 90W back in and it ate the clutches up and dropped the c-clip and when the light turned green at the drag strip i nailed it and the c-clip went through the gears and shucked all the teeth off the ring gear and about half of them off the pinion gear. it did back off the line and we pushed it on the trailer. $1200 later i had an auburn pro series diff and 4.10 gears. i know its geared low cause you have to shift fast and 1st gear is almost pointless.

how does that sound?

Quick Reply: question on next mod