5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Eighth & Last Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:15 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Default My Eighth & Last Mustang

It's a '94 GT, bought about a month ago, from an old guy only slightly younger than me. Said he had it "a few years", titled it a year ago, though. Here's what it looks like:

I'm new here, like a couple days, find navigating back to my first posts difficult. Hoping my ignorance is tolerable. Anyhow, my wife & I test drove it about a mile or two, think I'm a fairly good judge of cars, it felt tight, ran smooth, tracked straight, eng. oil clean, no stink, not a drop under car anywhere, brakes real good, for 161K the lack of squeaks given that suspension was surprising. Everything works properly, AC real good!

I've now driven it several hundred miles. Small issues not visible early: real poor gas mileage, at least city; no highway yet. My sense of smell is bad, wife says she smells strong exhaust odor if I start it in closed garage, even with eng. hot. MIL proves out, no codes. Obvious mods were done underhood, amateur in my mind. Bigger Mass Air Duct replaced Ford's, with an aluminum duct in front of that having ACT hanging underneath, then long curved chrome duct 3-1/2" diam, going down into fenderwell, where a baby-sized K&N was stuffed, impossible to service w/o opening up inner splash shield. Vapor canister and it's valve gone, smog pump standing idle, no hoses, belt bypassed. TB original. MAF looks to be original Ford. Not knocking mods, mind you, but look at what replaced the PCV intake hose:

PCV valve is back there where it belongs. Any thoughts, ideas, help, will be appreciated! imp
Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I would start by looking at the distributor cap to make sure it isn't burnt. Then probably go ahead and check the plugs. I don't know about the 95 model but, my 93 had to have the carbon canister and valve. (it just stunk inside the car without it) I would think that could only improve mileage as well. The 02 sensors are probably old. They are what target a stoich air/fuel mixture in closed loop. Also, I looked at a fuel chart for your car at 160 d. It looks at loads higher than about 40, it is throwing more fuel in with the 160 thermo. This is assuming you have a T4MO bin code computer. There are 7 cbaza bin files.

for reference 40 load should be about where you are at cruise speed. idle would be closer to 27.5. And if your 02's are working correctly, it will be targeting 14.64. With the fumes form the carbon canister or not.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 07-09-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:43 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Nice color,,

This was my 94.
Name:  f59PUGI.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  2.88 MB
Name:  GDiLMiy.jpg
Size:  2.27 MB
Name:  jRHZyhl.jpg
Size:  2.47 MB
Name:  vU0HP4H.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  376.7 KB
Old 07-09-2017, 04:09 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Nice color,,......
Nice, Nice! Mine is identical, pretty much, with added flare-tips on the exhausts. You use past tense: no longer own it? Was it manual or auto? Wonder if AOD was still in them, or AODE. Seems Ford shied away from AOD in other lines w/5.0, like F-150 used E4OD.

I used AOD when I put a 5.0 HO in a '79 Ranchero. It bogged badly upon shifting 2 to 3. Learned in 3rd. and 4th., power went directly from crankshaft to transmission input, no torque converter action. Used 2 input shafts, coaxially running. The inner one was REALLY skinny. Cured the bog easily by yanking out the factory 9" which was like 2.79, stuck in a 3.50 I had lying around. Good results. Ranchero ran like a cruiser, smooth, great fuel economy. Used EEC-IV ala 1992, engine came out of a wrecked police car. imp
Old 07-09-2017, 05:19 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
Nice, Nice! Mine is identical, pretty much, with added flare-tips on the exhausts. You use past tense: no longer own it? Was it manual or auto? Wonder if AOD was still in them, or AODE. Seems Ford shied away from AOD in other lines w/5.0, like F-150 used E4OD.

I used AOD when I put a 5.0 HO in a '79 Ranchero. It bogged badly upon shifting 2 to 3. Learned in 3rd. and 4th., power went directly from crankshaft to transmission input, no torque converter action. Used 2 input shafts, coaxially running. The inner one was REALLY skinny. Cured the bog easily by yanking out the factory 9" which was like 2.79, stuck in a 3.50 I had lying around. Good results. Ranchero ran like a cruiser, smooth, great fuel economy. Used EEC-IV ala 1992, engine came out of a wrecked police car. imp
94-95 uses the AODE transmission. Mine was a 5 speed, Id never get an automatic mustang. The autos are terrible with out some big gears.

I sold that car some years ago, Ive had a couple foxes and a couple new edges since that one.