Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Max EGT's Coyote 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 PM
MustangGT311900

Default Max EGT's Coyote 5.0

I apologize in advance if there is already a thread started about this topic. If so I have not found it, or anywhere on the internet. I come from the performance diesel world where this question gets asked a lot. The question, what is the max EGT's that these motors can handle before melting pistons? I know in a diesel it's anywhere from 1250 degrees normal not going to hurt much to 1600 degrees where you can pretty much kiss your pistons goodbye, but I don't know if that translates to the same for gasoline vehicles. I just bought the 2017 Mustang GT w/performance pack back in August and I really want to put tune this thing up. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to make sure that all the modifications are centered around maximum power and low EGT's.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by MustangGT311900
I apologize in advance if there is already a thread started about this topic. If so I have not found it, or anywhere on the internet. I come from the performance diesel world where this question gets asked a lot. The question, what is the max EGT's that these motors can handle before melting pistons? I know in a diesel it's anywhere from 1250 degrees normal not going to hurt much to 1600 degrees where you can pretty much kiss your pistons goodbye, but I don't know if that translates to the same for gasoline vehicles. I just bought the 2017 Mustang GT w/performance pack back in August and I really want to put tune this thing up. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to make sure that all the modifications are centered around maximum power and low EGT's.
Well, Diesels and gas engines run on two fundamentally different theories of operation as you already know. EGT's aren't really a measured parameter for gas engines.

A/F ratio (Air/Fuel) is.

For gasoline engines 14.7:1 air/fuel is ideal. When you lean that out too much, you can get holes in pistons. How a lean condition pertains to EGT, couldn't tell you but this article is pretty good at giving an overview of how well or not so well EGT help gas engine tuners. IMO they do not which is why they are not utilized as much.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/when-...e-for-concern/
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 AM
MustangGT311900

Originally Posted by Derf00
Well, Diesels and gas engines run on two fundamentally different theories of operation as you already know. EGT's aren't really a measured parameter for gas engines.

A/F ratio (Air/Fuel) is.

For gasoline engines 14.7:1 air/fuel is ideal. When you lean that out too much, you can get holes in pistons. How a lean condition pertains to EGT, couldn't tell you but this article is pretty good at giving an overview of how well or not so well EGT help gas engine tuners. IMO they do not which is why they are not utilized as much.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/when-...e-for-concern/
Thank you for your response. I figured that they were the same when it came to exhaust gas temps, but it does make sense that gasoline motors are setup a little differently. I wanted to monitor them but I guess it's the air/fuel ratio that is more important. I will say that I am getting anywhere from 13.8-14.4 for air/fuel ratio right now. Is that a normal range for a stock S550? The only thing I have done to it is a Ford racing X-pipe and a Roush axle-back.