Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Skip shift....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Can5.0

Just picked up my new 11 GT and I've seen the message, but that's all it was...a message. I still managed to shift to 2nd w/o issue. Overall, I've been really pleased with the transmission and car in general even if it's only been 2 days
Old 06-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Rob3578

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Yea, I had a 94 Trans Am where the skip shift would kick in probably 50% of the time. Of course, the fix was a simple snip of one wire at the tranny.
Yeah,as long as it's not like the B.S that GM used I can live with it until I get a tuner.But hell,I don't even heve the car yet.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cababah
Hey guys, new here I just picked up my 5.0 yesterday and already have about 100 miles on it. When the sales guy was driving it from the detailing lot to the pickup area, he said there was a message on the display recommending a shift to improve fuel economy...fast forward

i have been reading about the skip shift and have spent ALL DAY experimenting with different speeds and loads in 1st gear trying to get it to kick in or at least see a message...nothing. Does anyone know any exact details about how to make it kick in?

I have gone like as slow as I could in 1st gear and shifted at 1k,2k,2.5k and nothing...this may be good news to the people that are worried about it being an issue. I can't even make the thing do it intentionally lol
Cab he is probably meaning the screen that shows current fuel economy. If I am just cruising I am going 1st, to 3rd, to 6th. So far I am averaging exactly 18.6 mpg with 500 miles travelled. This is all city driving as well. I think that screen is right after the avg mpg screen when your pressing the info button.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:45 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i hav ebeen driving an 11 5.0 with3.73s the last few days. i hav enoticed the skip feature, but only when acclerating very slowly. I'm talkgin behnid a grandma slowly. Anyothe rtime with 3.73s the feature doens;t activate. I did find one potential issue with the feature. I was pulling out from a stop light behind a van that took off and i pulled out slowly and teh skip shift engaged. the van tehn slowed down and since it was a long sweeping turn onto a highway i had to slow down. teh car is so quiet you can't realyl hear what the motor is doing at that speed and before i realized it the car was a bit bleow idel speed. I cna see instances where the car might stall. Luckily that is very rare. I love how the tranny shifts though, i can bang the gears so much faster than in my 10. It's like the 5spd with a short throw shifter.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
mbhpgapro

My 2011 does it but i can't reproduce the skip shift. It usually does it when I am going slow, too slow to be in 4th where you can't get out of your own way. I need to find a way to get rid or overide this thing. I'm glad others see it too, i thought it was just me.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I, like others who have already posted, have encountered the skip shift and been forced from 1st to 4th. But like they said, it happens rarely and only when i am accelerating slowly to begin with and its hardly a nuissance, especially with the torque of the 5.0 and 3.73 gears, accelerating in 4th isn't much of an issue.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Peebz
1st Gear Member

I almost never run into my skip shift feature unless i try to use it lol Even without using it I still get solid MPG on my GT
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbhpgapro
My 2011 does it but i can't reproduce the skip shift. It usually does it when I am going slow, too slow to be in 4th where you can't get out of your own way. I need to find a way to get rid or overide this thing. I'm glad others see it too, i thought it was just me.
When you feel yourself being guided into 4th, complete the move then move the lever straight up into 3rd and then release the clutch. Voila! Away you go.
There will be a resistor thingy to attach to your transmission soon if it's bothersome.

Cheers.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I have never had the skip-shift feature come on for me, and for the first 100 miles, I drove like a grandma. I do not know what rear gear I have, I presume a 3.31.

All this time, I thought skip shift was something that allowed you to skip from 1st to a higher gear at you choosing of any time without using any of the intermediate gears. I didn't know it was something that kinda "coerced" or "urges" you to skip to a higher gear in a more compulsory manner.

I also read in the other thread that if you disable the TCS, the skip shift disables.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...1-4-shift.html
Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Panzer6

I drive like a sane person, and I've yet to have the skip shift force me to do anything. I see the message, but I'll skip from 1st to 3rd at will. If anybody is worried about this feature I don't think they should be. It's so unobtrusive it's not even worth the bother to try to "fix".

It's like the Ford engineers put it in there to satisfy the government stooges, but they made it so it's not going to effect the average driver.

Quick Reply: Skip shift....?