Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 AM
lexustech48
1st Gear Member

So had this all typed out before I read ALL the comments and I realize that the guy talking about valve overlap was the third guy, but was mistakenly referred to as the second guy (i was teh second guy). lol so there are no ruffled feathers here, just wanting to help assist getting the message across.

Well I (referred to as the second guy) certainly do understand valve overlap. as a matter of fact Ill explain valve overlap. Valve overlap is used (on an N/A car) to use the escaping exhaust gasses to HELP drawn in the air/fuel charge. Opening the intake valve while the exhaust valve has gasses escaping (creating vacuum for a split second) it creates a higher pressure in the intake runner than in the actual cylinder. This pressure differential helps begin to thrust (but not force) the incoming air charge into the cylinder with a higher EFFICIENCY. It still requires the piston to create a vacuum on its intake stroke to pull air and fuel in but its does make the process that much more efficient. A properly tuned variable camshaft has a precise amount OVERLAP programed in to help get a maximum amount of air/fuel in to the cylinder.

With a forced induction car, the dynamics change a wee bit. Superchargers and turbos both provide compressed air charges into the the engine's cylinders. Unlike natural aspiration, forced induction DOES NOT solely depend on the piston creating a vacuum on its intake stroke to draw air into the cylinder. They FORCE the air INDUCTION into the cylinder (by compressing the incoming air before it reached the air plenum), much more air than a N/A car can on its own. And with more air comes more oxygen and with more oxygen comes the ability to add more fuel into a fixed combustion chamber size. More air and more fuel in a CC create ALOT more power, but with it higher CYLINDER PRESSURES as other have mentioned. Thus a car with ALREADY high compression ratios MAY have a hard time accepting boost. But valve overlap plays less of a role in Forced Induction cars than n/a cars if at all.

However with a great engineering team and vast resources for CAD modeling and engine dynamics, as other have stated the latest high compression engines are better able to handle boost than OLDER cars with less sophisticated engine management and part strength.

I give credit where credit is due, designing in enough strength headroom on the 5.0 coyote for forced induction is really a testament to a great engineering team at Ford!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

No, no you didn't mention RPM 908ssp, BUT what you did say is. "It all depends on what hp the engine parts can take." So I mentioned that HP output is less of a determining factor when it comes to breaking engine internals. High RPM's are a much bigger factor.

Also anyone can post pics of x car and make up bull ****. And considering it's obvious to me, that you think you know more than you actually do about a engine period. Then i'm going to go ahead and either say you paid someone to do it for you, or your just full of it. And if your wondering why I am being a bit of a dick, I will tell you. I HATE MISINFORMATION! And there is a lot of it going on in this thread already, and I haven't asked any crazy questions here. IMO.

So unless you have some good solid factual information to post in this thread which could help other members when and if they want to turbo there 5.0 then please just stick to reading the thread.

Last edited by Ripper Alpha; 07-28-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lexustech48
So had this all typed out before I read ALL the comments and I realize that the guy talking about valve overlap was the third guy, but was mistakenly referred to as the second guy (i was teh second guy). lol so there are no ruffled feathers here, just wanting to help assist getting the message across.
My mistake.

Originally Posted by lexustech48
Well I (referred to as the second guy) certainly do understand valve overlap. as a matter of fact Ill explain valve overlap. Valve overlap is used (on an N/A car) to use the escaping exhaust gasses to HELP drawn in the air/fuel charge.
True, this is called scavenging. Now reading your post i'd say you have a fairly good understanding of it then. So I withdraw my statement, I don't recall without looking what made me think you didn't. It may have just been the wording used (which does make a difference). You do realize though that the optimal cam is different for a super charged engine vs turbo. The reason being the turbo engine has a lot of back pressure on the exhaust manifold/header. Where as the supercharged engine does not, because of this the optimal exhaust cam will be different for both engines.

Anyway though back on topic. Which at this point apparently no one has any new good info so time for the thread to go to sleep I suppose.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
lexustech48
1st Gear Member

Lol its all good no worries at all. its was my bad; just got done type for 20 mins... didnt want to delete my writing! yeah Im lazy.... =)

I have to imagine that there will be a new set of cams developed in the future for this engine that would support turbocharging. Depending on how fast you want to jump into the turbo fray, Im sure you could contact one of the big cam companies that traditionally do performance cams and talk to them about a custom cam grind. Im sure a company like Comp Cams, Crower, Lunati etc could help answer your question for cam grinds.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

I can't say I feel to great about any of the cam companies you listed. Why you might ask, because at least with the 4G63, cams from those companies seemed to always require massive adjustment when you degree them. VS at least one other company, (HKS) which would be near perfect when you drop them in. So you didn't really need to buy a $$$ set of adjustable cam gears and degree the things.

Sadly something tells me HKS isn't going to be making cams for the Ford LOL. Although maybe the import world (like the Mitsu crowed) doesn't make them as much money as the domestic, so they may honestly not be putting in that much effort. *shrug* who knows.

But yea, i'm not looking to dive into this right now, since it would appear almost none of the market is ready to support it.

Last edited by Ripper Alpha; 07-28-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
racerxtsi90

(HKS) which would be near perfect when you drop them in. So you didn't really need to buy a $$$ set of adjustable cam gears and degree the things.

Sadly something tells me HKS isn't going to be making cams for the Ford LOL
I know what you mean. I worked at a Mitsu tuner shop in the tampa bay area. If HKS made cams for the new mustang I would be the first person buying a set
Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 AM
failurze_art
2nd Gear Member

It has been done. 543hp/532tq to the wheels with only 6 psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04V_f...6g&feature=sub
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Nice and on 6psi it's being the compositions supercharged setups. Oh and would you look at that, there reconfiguring the engine for forced induction. Funny I know I claimed and said stuff very similar to this.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...charger-3.html
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
failurze_art
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ripper Alpha
Nice and on 6psi it's being the compositions supercharged setups. Oh and would you look at that, there reconfiguring the engine for forced induction. Funny I know I claimed and said stuff very similar to this.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...charger-3.html
yeah man I' ve been agreeing with you all along but just not voicing it on the forums. Call the guys at Fastlane inc. they will tell you why they are gonna have to build the engine before they can really boost it......Compression ratio and no direct injection...basically.

Quick Reply: Turbo?