Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any Problems With Anything Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM
5.0_Coyote_GT
1st Gear Member

Question Any Problems With Anything Yet?

Since the 2011 GT has now been out for a while, I have read that some of the 6 speed manual shift cars have had some hard shifting due to clutch issues. I have not read about any other problems with this new Coyote enigine or drive train.

Have any of you had any problems so far with the 11 GT's or have they been completely reliable? I have the automatic transmission and I hope this new Mustang of mine is 100% bulletproof!

Thanks in advance for your replies

Phil
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

So far I haven't even heard of anyone grenading an engine yet - at least, no one has admitted it. JPC recently put down 803rwhp on a completely stock engine, and several companies putting down well over 600rwhp on stock engines.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

8k miles on mine. My only complaint is I keep spending money to make it even faster and handle better. Once I get my suspension completed this weekend, the car is going to be so sick.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Jason, where did you get your gears done and do you mind sharing the price? Loving my '11, though feel like I could use a bit more gear. Not sure if 3.73's are the way to go or to stick with a 3.55:1. Also would like a bit more gear than the 3.25's in my early car, though I drive it so infrequently ...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
Jason, where did you get your gears done and do you mind sharing the price? Loving my '11, though feel like I could use a bit more gear. Not sure if 3.73's are the way to go or to stick with a 3.55:1. Also would like a bit more gear than the 3.25's in my early car, though I drive it so infrequently ...
$150 for the gears and $150 for the install. That was the friend price on the install. I think my guy usually charges $200. He's the shop foreman/lead mechanic at a very large Ford dealer in Atlanta who has his own "weekend" shop with lift, tools, etc. When you're ready, give me a call or PM me for his info. I don't know if 3.73's would be enough of a jump from 3.55's. I had 3.15's, so it was a huge jump for me. He's the one doing my suspension this weekend - Fays2 Watts Link, BBR Billet LCA's, front/rear sways, Steeda HD strut mounts, and Koni Sport adjustable shocks/struts. These North Fulton/South Forsyth BMW owners better watch out for the Race Red 5.0 driving away from them.

Last edited by jsnyng; 11-29-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Wow, no grass growing under your feet with all those mods. I currently have the 3.15's and see that I typed my post poorly. What I meant to say was whether to jump to 3.73 or go with 3.55 instead. I do have that little sluggish pedal-off-idle thing going that is mildly annoying. Was that eliminated with a tune only, with the gears or do you still have it as well and it is just par for the course?

Will definitely touch base if/when I switch the gears.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Tex-can
1st Gear Member

I have a GT prem. Auto and want to chage to 3:73 gears also. Have a few questions though. 1st what kind of gas milage did you loose changing to these gears? (I know that's not very important to you, but just want to know what to expect.) 2nd what kind of performance did it make? Was it a major difference or just slight? My car is my DD and need to be able to afford the drive to work. But I want to be able get on it when I want to, like around chargers & camaros.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
Wow, no grass growing under your feet with all those mods. I currently have the 3.15's and see that I typed my post poorly. What I meant to say was whether to jump to 3.73 or go with 3.55 instead. I do have that little sluggish pedal-off-idle thing going that is mildly annoying. Was that eliminated with a tune only, with the gears or do you still have it as well and it is just par for the course?

Will definitely touch base if/when I switch the gears.
The tune completely took care of the sluggish pedal. I got the tune before I got the gears. The throttle is so much more responsive than factory. All of my complaints were handled with just the tune. I still wanted the car to be quicker. There were simple mathematics involved in that decision. I either needed to add another 100HP to get the car as quick as I'd like, or just change the gear ratio. Supercharger $6k; gears $300. You see which one I chose. Personally, I wouldn't go with 3.55's. Bama and Brenspeed told me to go 4.10 and I'm the one who chose 3.73's. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go 4.10's BUT I am 100% pleased with the 3.73's. I still get great gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Tex-can
I have a GT prem. Auto and want to chage to 3:73 gears also. Have a few questions though. 1st what kind of gas milage did you loose changing to these gears? (I know that's not very important to you, but just want to know what to expect.) 2nd what kind of performance did it make? Was it a major difference or just slight? My car is my DD and need to be able to afford the drive to work. But I want to be able get on it when I want to, like around chargers & camaros.
I lost ~1MPG on the highway and actually increased ~1MPG in the city. It has been a wash in the end. I still average ~21MPG per tank with 50/50 hwy and city miles. I have said it repeatedly in other posts and to everyone who asks, the gears are the single best mod I have made to the car. The car runs like it was designed to. I have been told by several "Ford insiders" that the #1 reason why the auto had 3.15's as the only option was because Ford could keep the Gas Guzzler tax off the entire line of Mustang GT's. The auto was the sacrificial lamb of the line. I'm not kidding when I say that this car "feels" like it gained an extra 50HP than when I drove it home just from the gears alone. I understand your point about the Chargers and Camaros. I had an Evo that lives off my exit who wanted to run me. I don't really go above the speed limit by much, but I will get to the speed limit quickly if you know what I mean. At no point did he have me, but I had to wait for those 3.15's to chug me through the powerband. That first day we ran I'm sure he thought his loss was actually a victory because he didn't lose by that much and I didn't leave him behind. After the gears, we had another showdown where it wasn't even a fair fight. He'd brought a butter knife to a missile fight. The guy followed me into the Racetrac gas station to find out if I'd put a blower on the car because it was so different. Nope, just gears.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

You going to run int down the 1/4?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331
You going to run int down the 1/4?
12.21 @ 117 w/ drag radials and 3.73's (cool air, prepped track)
12.82 @ 106 w/ factory Pirelli 19's and 3.15's (hot/humid, track was slippery)

Quick Reply: Any Problems With Anything Yet?