Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

yet another skip shift thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Default yet another skip shift thread...

so, skip shift has almost caused me to get rear ended 3 times now in less than 2 months.... i won't go into how dumb it is or how much i hate it, i just want to disable it.. from what I've read here, looks like just about 'any' tuner will do the trick. if that's not the case lemme know.. I'm not crazy about spending $379 on a tuner, but I haven't seen any other options... so I guess my question is, will 'any' tuner do this?? i really don't plan on any mods or bolt on's so I don't really need a 'fancy' tuner.. is the Bama tuner the best way to go??

TIA.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
so, skip shift has almost caused me to get rear ended 3 times now in less than 2 months.... i won't go into how dumb it is or how much i hate it, i just want to disable it.. from what I've read here, looks like just about 'any' tuner will do the trick. if that's not the case lemme know.. I'm not crazy about spending $379 on a tuner, but I haven't seen any other options... so I guess my question is, will 'any' tuner do this?? i really don't plan on any mods or bolt on's so I don't really need a 'fancy' tuner.. is the Bama tuner the best way to go??

TIA.
Get the SCT tuner with a bama or brenspeed custom tune and ask them specifically to disable skip shift for you in their tunes.

Honestly I know $379 isn't cheap, but I personally think you'll love the other qualities that tune will bring to the table along with disabling skip shift as well.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Get the SCT tuner with a bama or brenspeed custom tune and ask them specifically to disable skip shift for you in their tunes.

Honestly I know $379 isn't cheap, but I personally think you'll love the other qualities that tune will bring to the table along with disabling skip shift as well.
Ahh, so I have to specify whether or not I want skipshift disabled?? thanks for the heads up, I would not have known that!

Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

nah you dont have to buy a tune at all. search s197forums. the way to disable it is on there. or i will post it in here later when i have more time.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, just reach up the passenger side of the transmission, hunt for a little two-wire connector near the top of the side, and unplug that sucker. Voila, skip shift is disabled! It's been proven to not throw a MIL.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Everything I read says to just unplug the connector and wrap the plugs in electrical tape to protect them from the weather. Still shows the skip shift on the dash but no solenoid action.

Also, if the skip shift is such a problem, do as I do, hold first gear for a bit longer and shift above 20 mph. On mine, if the clutch is depressed at 15 mph, it skip shifts, after 20 mph, no problem. Try it to see where the point of no skip shift is on your car and shift after that.

Whenever it does a skip shift on me, I feel like I am driving like an old man......lol......even though I am approaching that point in real life.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Where exactly is the skip shift light? I have yet to see mine. 600 miles on the car and I think I've only had skip shift happen to me once. I've purposely tried to get it to come on just for the hell of it and it doesn't.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

It comes up as a statement in the info center of the dash. It is there briefly and you really have to watch for it. It seems to have so many variables.....I see that quick acceleration to 15/17 mph does not cause it ans also a rreeaall ssllooww acceleration will not cause it to happen. A friend drove mine for about 15 miles thru town and never got it to engage and he was trying to.....
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

My SkipS*** no longer gives me forced feedback. I think it is from adaptive learning, such that when it flashed on my tach message board, I just forced it into 2nd gear anyway.
The resistance was there from SkpiS***, but it was not impossible to throw it into 2nd.

After awhile, the resistance disappeared; I think the ECU's adaptive learning just disabled it knowing I was going to thrown into 2nd regardless, and it no longer gives me any resistance anymore, even when SkipS*** flashes on my tach.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Also, make sure the problem is actually the skip-shift feature. It's only skip-shift if it actually displays it's happening in the message center. There are a slew of tranny shifting issues with the MT82... many with grinding gears or an inability to shift into gears... NOT necessarily related to skip-shift.

Read all 14+ posts here:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

Quick Reply: yet another skip shift thread...