Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

yet another skip shift thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You can disable it for free...by unplugging the control on the transmission.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...kip-shift.html
Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Exactly how does SkipS*** work? Does the solenoid close a circuit to electromagnets that create EM fields powerful enough to give pronounced feedback on 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Yeah, just reach up the passenger side of the transmission, hunt for a little two-wire connector near the top of the side, and unplug that sucker. Voila, skip shift is disabled! It's been proven to not throw a MIL.
Awesome!!! This is the info I've been looking for!!! Now I just need to get my fat **** under the car and unplug it!!!!

Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I have no idea how you keep running into the skip shift with 3.73 gears, let alone how it is nearly causing you to be rear ended. I have the same set up and have only encountered it once or twice and it was far from dramatic.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Exactly how does SkipS*** work? Does the solenoid close a circuit to electromagnets that create EM fields powerful enough to give pronounced feedback on 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears?
My brain just exploded
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

If you have a programmer, or are planning to purchase - it's so easy for us to throw it in the calibration. It's a lot nicer that way, so you don't have to unplug any factory connectors. However, if you weren't going to invest in the programmer, it's definitely an easy way to do it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
I have no idea how you keep running into the skip shift with 3.73 gears, let alone how it is nearly causing you to be rear ended. I have the same set up and have only encountered it once or twice and it was far from dramatic.
X2. It's mostly a non-issue.

Cheers.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
The main reason is people drive like idiots around here.. 17mph to 20mph is my 'normal' shift point 1st to 2nd, and when SS engages, it takes an additional second to realize it and go to 3rd or God forbid 4th when you're going 14mph, then the dumb b***ch in a minivan behind you is about to rear end you... THAT is the issue.

So, i'll get on the creeper and see how easy it is to unplug \ tape this thing.. if not, tuner town here I come!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
The main reason is people drive like idiots around here.. 17mph to 20mph is my 'normal' shift point 1st to 2nd, and when SS engages, it takes an additional second to realize it and go to 3rd or God forbid 4th when you're going 14mph, then the dumb b***ch in a minivan behind you is about to rear end you... THAT is the issue.

So, i'll get on the creeper and see how easy it is to unplug \ tape this thing.. if not, tuner town here I come!

It may not be ideal, but my method works pretty well. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, running in to skip shift pretty often around town.

Start in first, when about to shift into second, go down into neutral, and just fan the shift over to the middle of neutral. This completely negates the skip shift, and you can immediately pull it to the left and down into second.

Once you've done it a few times, it's second nature.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
It may not be ideal, but my method works pretty well. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, running in to skip shift pretty often around town.

Start in first, when about to shift into second, go down into neutral, and just fan the shift over to the middle of neutral. This completely negates the skip shift, and you can immediately pull it to the left and down into second.

Once you've done it a few times, it's second nature.
Thanks Vista, I'll give this a try (in March, she's covered up for the winter!)

Quick Reply: yet another skip shift thread...