Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Major issue with skip shift causing violent down shifts!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Element155
1st Gear Member

Default Major issue with skip shift causing violent down shifts!

i was just driving along coming up on a turn i go to downshift and i'm pushed into second (it wouldn't go into 4th) its happens more than once, i suspect skip shift is causing this issue. it scares the **** out of me when it happens and i have noticed some weird shifting issues occasional grind in 5th etc. is this happening to anyone else?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Skip shift should only be functioning on 1-2 up shifts with the engine rpm at 1500-1900 rpm. If you have rough down shifts, you should visit the dealer.

The gates are close together also so it takes an easy hand to hit the gate.

I disconnected the skip shift solenoid on the top, rear passenger corner of the transmission with no ill results. Several have done this with no negative results.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Element155
i was just driving along coming up on a turn i go to downshift and i'm pushed into second (it wouldn't go into 4th) its happens more than once, i suspect skip shift is causing this issue. it scares the **** out of me when it happens and i have noticed some weird shifting issues occasional grind in 5th etc. is this happening to anyone else?
Skip Shift (I call it "SkipS***") does not do this.

From the sounds of your problem you are describing, you should have probably waited a little longer before downshifting to second (your tranny output shaft was still turning too fast) or you should have downshifted into third instead..

The only reason why I say this is because I am guessing you were going to fast for 2nd gear and too slow for 4th and your syncros were locking your out, thus the grinding as you try to throw it into the gear you want to go into.

Now, if your speed was reasonable for forth gear that you were trying to downshift into, the syncros should not have done that.
Your tranny might be screwed up (maybe not your fault), and you should take it in and make a claim under your drivetrain warranty.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Element155
This has nothing to do with skip shift. Were you trying to downshift from 5th to 4th? You should bring it to your dealer.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
venomisback

driver-error.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

if you're not used to the 6 speed manual, it takes a bit to get used to the spacing of the gates etc. took me a couple weeks of 'non daily driving'. I hope it's nothing mechanical, please keep us posted.