Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Best Headers & X-Pipe for 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Albjuli
Has anybody tried to install 2011 gt 500 on GT 5.0 ? I put GT 500 exhaust on my GT 5.0 but I would like to put the headers to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
not going to fit. different heads, different engine.
you mean the stock gt500 manifolds? if you are going to change the manifolds, you might as well do LT's.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Long tubes should add 25 to 30 HP regardless of Brand.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411
Long tubes should add 25 to 30 HP regardless of Brand.
Well, kind of. As Mishri said, most of the gains really come from getting rid of the stock cats, which an offroad x/h pipe will do - no real need for long tubes.

Most people see 20-25rwhp just from swapping from stock to offroad x/h, and 25-30rwhp from stock to long tubes which of course includes an offroad x/h pipe.

There was a guy on a different forum that tried breaking it down based on many dyno sheets and simple math - and came to the conclusion that the long tubes themselves actually account for 5-7rwhp. This number would (theoretically) be much higher with a different cam, a blower, etc.

All that said, though, you just can't beat the sound on these cars with long tubes and an x pipe. Absolute bliss at high RPM!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
Well, kind of. As Mishri said, most of the gains really come from getting rid of the stock cats, which an offroad x/h pipe will do - no real need for long tubes.

Most people see 20-25rwhp just from swapping from stock to offroad x/h, and 25-30rwhp from stock to long tubes which of course includes an offroad x/h pipe.

There was a guy on a different forum that tried breaking it down based on many dyno sheets and simple math - and came to the conclusion that the long tubes themselves actually account for 5-7rwhp. This number would (theoretically) be much higher with a different cam, a blower, etc.

All that said, though, you just can't beat the sound on these cars with long tubes and an x pipe. Absolute bliss at high RPM!

i would like to see those dyno graphs with the o/r mid pipe only swap.
removing the cats makes a difference in sound, but the LT's is where you get the exhaust gas scavenging. and thats where the power increase comes from.
when going o/r midpipe, you might also get a retune. and you get more power from the tune.
i would like to see a graph with before and after midpipe swap to off road, with no tune or a tune that just shuts off the O2 sensors.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://southernknights.forumotion.ne...project-update

this dyno graph shows a gain of 13 rwhp from the o/r x pipe only.
i think you got your numbers mixed up. most of the hp comes from LT's and just a little more from removing the cats.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 AM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i would like to see those dyno graphs with the o/r mid pipe only swap.
removing the cats makes a difference in sound, but the LT's is where you get the exhaust gas scavenging. and thats where the power increase comes from.
when going o/r midpipe, you might also get a retune. and you get more power from the tune.
i would like to see a graph with before and after midpipe swap to off road, with no tune or a tune that just shuts off the O2 sensors.
The '11 5.0 already has tuned-length headers, but they're shorties, not long tubes. I'll try to find the thread later - it's somewhere on ModularFords.com.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Not exactly the thread I was looking for, but some good information nonetheless:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...alk+long+tubes

There's a thread somewhere where wbt was using before/after dyno sheets to prove the numbers, but I'm having a hard time finding it. The long and short of it was that an off-road x-pipe provides nearly the same gains as long tubes and and off-road x-pipe for a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Reading through a couple more long tube/x-pipe threads, I can say my numbers were off a bit; With no tune changes whatsoever, it seems an otherwise stock car switching to an off-road x-pipe makes 15rwhp or so, whereas the same car switching to long tubes and off-road x-pipe makes 20-25rwhp.

So, 5-10rwhp can be accounted for by the long tubes themselves. I can't personally see dropping a grand on possibly 5 hp, myself.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I have seen dyno graphs of people with O/R midpipe at around 410-415whp, most people with LTs are up around 425-430whp so it's a decent gain, I also think you should have a CAI with the LT headers for the extra air flow. hard to tell, but there is a guy with this sig:
2011 5.0 M6 w/ 4.10's, JLT catch can, JLT cold air, BBR tune, Spohn LCA/UCA, BMR ADJ Panhard Bar, BBK LTs/catted x pipe, Flowmaster hushpower cat back, Boss intake, Boss/CS front Valance, Roush diffuser,
448whp/405wtq

CAI, BBK LTs catted x-pipe, Boss intake making 448whp-405wtq? much higher than I would expect.. makes me wonder if the dyno he was on wasn't a high reading one.

But it could be that combining all of the mods is the way to see the big gains, going from 380 to 448 whp (guessing the 380 on high reading dyno for stock mustang) nearly 70whp with a handful of bolt-ons is pretty cool (not everyone considers intake manifolds a bolt on even though they are cheaper and easier to install than LT headers)
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I've been combing through 1/4 mile time slips too to find ET/traps with LTs vs O/R mid pipe and it's just hard to find anyone running LTs with a faster time than people with just an O/R mid otherwise comparable, different tracks, different days, different drivers easily explains the differences but still.. I'm a little disapointed we don't have more info, we probably will in a year or 2 though.

Quick Reply: Best Headers & X-Pipe for 2011 5.0