Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Header opinion w exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 AM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Mustang FTW
@zilla8 I've been on that dyno before!!

I've been looking at the ARH 1 7/8, O/R X, and Magnaflow Comp Catback. Is this a setup you'd recommend?
haha yep good ol GTR that would be a nice set up but it will be very loud with the comp series mufflers.I would go with a chambered muffler like stock or GT500 or what I have the Gibson axleback exhaust.

you might be ok with the street series Magnaflow but it will still be loud.
these cars get really loud with longtubes and o/r X pipes but I tamed mine with a combo of stock exhaust with resonators and a chambered muffler.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 AM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phantomx2
Hmm what do you all recommend ARH or KOOKS.
I would go with ARH.I just think they are the best quality with no leaks or fitment issues.They tuck up real good underneath with plenty of clearance.
Attached Thumbnails Header opinion w exhaust setup-m5lp-1106-13-o-lethal-performance-2011-ford-mustang-gt-arh-headers.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 AM
GT Mustang FTW

Originally Posted by zilla8
haha yep good ol GTR that would be a nice set up but it will be very loud with the comp series mufflers.I would go with a chambered muffler like stock or GT500 or what I have the Gibson axleback exhaust.

you might be ok with the street series Magnaflow but it will still be loud.
these cars get really loud with longtubes and o/r X pipes but I tamed mine with a combo of stock exhaust with resonators and a chambered muffler.
I don't mind loud, in fact, that's what I want I have Longtubes, O/R X, and Magnapacks on my 01 GT and I love it. There's a slight amount of rasp at certain RPMs which isn't the most desirable. Did you have much rasp with that setup?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

not much rasp at all.If you reved it up while sitting at idle you would hear a little rasp
but otherwise no rasp just a nice clean powerful sound.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

I should have used the word rasp a little more in that last post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Can we get some love too.....HAHA

Call any one of our Dealers for Pricing

View on Stainless Works Site
Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

@stainless work actually @everyone......... I called jre performance in CT and asked them what they suggested Kooks, ARH, Stainless, etc. They did not tell me a specific brand but they did tell me they feel 1 7/8 header is to large for the 2011 GT. They recommend 1 3/4. They said bigger is NOT better when it comes to headers, but header manufacturers fall victim to customer demand for bigger even if bigger is not better. Does anyone know which is better 1 7/8 or 1 3/4? n why?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

As a manufacturer or as a customer, determining a proper header size is always a tricky game. From the manufacturer standpoint, we must look towards the future as modern technology is advancing, engines are becoming more efficient with new head design, camshaft profile and intake design. So we must offer a header with larger primaries. We are getting requests for 2" primary headers for conversions in 65-up mustangs! As a customer looking to purchase a set of headers, you also need to look to the future. Will your car eventually get a larger cam, higher flowing heads or maybe even a supercharger?

If you plan on keeping the motor configuration close to stock, then a smaller primary is the best choice because you won't give up as much torque on the bottom end. Torque is what moves your car. Something like a larger 1 7/8" or even a 2" primary should not be used on a stock type application. If you plan on changing the cam profile, porting the intake, larger throttle body, adding nitrous etc.... then you want to consider the larger primaries.

In short, if only plan on using basic bolt-ons, the smaller primary size will be very effective. Also how do you plan to use the car? Street driven? Track toy? This will also affect your primary size.

Should i continue rambling?? haha

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

thank you stainless works. My current 2011 GT has: steeda cai, sct tune, and some exhaust. Right now the car is a daily driver. I plan to go to the track maybe once a month after more work gets done. Im thinking about getting the boss 302 manifold, l&m 82mm throttle body, along with what ever set of headers to go with my magnaflow comp catback. And im debating eventually down the road (im thinking a couple of years) pick up a new cams/supercharger. Do you all recommend me going 1-3/4 or 1-7/8
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

I honestly think a 1-3/4" would be great for what you have now, BUT a header with 1-7/8" primaries would be a better choice IMO because you don't want to be the guy with "small headers" (haha)

The 1-7/8" will support any modifications you do for the next few years, invest wisely!

-Paul

Quick Reply: Header opinion w exhaust setup