Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Header opinion w exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

Default Header opinion w exhaust setup

Hey guys right now I have the magnaflow competition series catback system with the magnaflow tru x pipe. I am happy so far but I want the car to be louder. I know a lot of people feel it has drone and to loud is not good but thats neither here nor there. I want to add long tube headers. My idea was to get Kooks LT headers and the Kooks catted shorty x pipe. What do you guys think of this set up? Or what headers with matching catted x pipe do you guys recommend?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Entrenched
1st Gear Member

I'm running ARH 1 7/8 long tubes, with off road x pipe, and magnaflow comp catback. It's loud, if you want loud get this set up. It doesn't drone at all and is actually not loud until you get on it. Then all hell breaks loose.

Video is not the best. I'm working on some new stuff.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

Please forgive my ignorance but what does ARH stand for? What brand x pipe you using? I have a 93 also and that has no cats and its a little annoying worrying about getting an inspection sticker so I will go catted x instead of off road.

Another question does anyone know if the sound difference between cats and no cats is a big or small difference?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phantomx2

Another question does anyone know if the sound difference between cats and no cats is a big or small difference?
with your comp series the differance will be a lot if you go off road

If you go longtubes with O/R X and the Magnaflow comps it will be very loud.
I'll post a video of my car on the dyno.

at the time I had Magnaflow comp series catback with Magnaflow HF cats and X-pipe # 16399

I now run ARH longtubes with o/r x pipe connected to the stock pipes with resonators and then Gibson axleback and it is perfect with no drone.

It's loud at WOT but pretty tame during normal cruising.

the stock cats absorb a lot of sound trust me ARH/American Racing Headers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV-GwEvu1xQ

Last edited by zilla8; 08-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Entrenched
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phantomx2
Please forgive my ignorance but what does ARH stand for? What brand x pipe you using? I have a 93 also and that has no cats and its a little annoying worrying about getting an inspection sticker so I will go catted x instead of off road.

ARH = American Racing Headers

I would definitely match your mid pipe to the header manufacturer. I'm using the ARH x-pipe. Can't comment on the sound without the cats as mine hasn't had them in over a year.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

If you want loud, off-road X is the way to go, I'm just not sure if you have to meet any emissions standards. With the magnaflow comp. axleback, its going to be very...very loud.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

@zilla8 your car does sound loud but you can never really tell thru videos. Right now I have stock cats with the magnaflow x and mine does not sound as loud as yours does in the video. I guess you were right stock cats eat up a lot of the sound

@entrenched yea I def wanna match my x pipe/midpipe to my headers. And I thought ARH meant American Racing but I wasnt sure with the H because they sell more than just Headers but thanks.

@parchisi yea Im in New Jersey they recently lowered our inspection rules to where now it is basically just emissions. I wouldnt have to worry about inspection for another 4 years but after that I will.

To all did you hear good reviews of ARH? Is that why you chose that brand instead of another for example Kooks. Was it price difference, etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 AM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

I liked the fit and quality of the ARH 1 7/8 headers and at the time I got them they were pretty much the first ones out along with Stainless works.

the Kooks,BBK,Bassanni and others came out a little later but are also good headers.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
GT Mustang FTW

@zilla8 I've been on that dyno before!!

I've been looking at the ARH 1 7/8, O/R X, and Magnaflow Comp Catback. Is this a setup you'd recommend? And where are you at in LA? I'm in OC but I go up to LA every once in a while and I'd love to hear your car in person You can PM me.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

Hmm what do you all recommend ARH or KOOKS. From American Muscle the Kooks headers would b $1,560 and from ARH the ARH headers would b $1,590 so they are basically the same price. I gonna guess the sound would be close? Also which is better quality?

Quick Reply: Header opinion w exhaust setup