Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 GT Clutch Pedal Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Default 2012 GT Clutch Pedal Pressure Issue

I have 600 miles in my 2012 GT and have begun to notice that sometimes the top few inches of the pedal has very little pressure, almost feels as if it hasnt engaged all the way? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 AM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

At high rpm in particular or all the time/randomly?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Actually I havent tracked it really but it seems to be after WOT?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

It's the same thing I just took my 2012 to the dealer for. Not enough spring pressure in the pedal assembly to pull the clutch pedal back to the top so it hovers half way. The 2012's have the revised pedal that used to stick all the way to the floor. Only happens when the motor is revving high because the centrifugal clutch is spinning fast (6k+ rpm). Keep on your local dealer about it but there are other claimed fixes out there like putting on a GT500 pedal assembly (proven), removing the big spring behind the pedal (unknown) or replacing the clutch and pressure plate with an aftermarket one (proven). Until Ford decides to change something with the 2012's you either have to deal with it or take matters into your own hands.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

So is this just in the pedal or its effecting the clutch itself? And you say the 2012's have the revised pedal that use to stick to the floor. Am I missing something or does that sound wrong?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Nope, you're not missing anything. In other words, the problem still isn't fixed all the way. Ours only fail to return 100%. 2011's would not come off the floor under high rpm WOT shifts. It can't be good for anything in the clutch assembly but until the dealer decides to do something about it (or acknowledge it in my case), it's up to you to fix it
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
Nope, you're not missing anything. In other words, the problem still isn't fixed all the way. Ours only fail to return 100%. 2011's would not come off the floor under high rpm WOT shifts. It can't be good for anything in the clutch assembly but until the dealer decides to do something about it (or acknowledge it in my case), it's up to you to fix it
I have spoke with professional mechanics about this issue and they can assure me that due to this problem, the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging properly and gets hot spots.

I dropped my car off Monday for its THIRD tranny, and they wanted me to pay for a new clutch for these hot spots (which were never noted in either of the two previous replacements).

They even had the audacity to tell me "last time we drove, I noticed your driving style was XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX". Bull.... I have gone on COUNTLESS rides with these guys and never ONCE was told that I was driving wrong; because I wasn't!

Long story short, I held my ground and they are paying for it; like they should.

Folks, if you have this issue, take it in; it is damaging ish....
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Ford needs to come down with something before cars break. Not just clean up the mess. Until then, warranty should cover clutches on 5.0's.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Definitely true. If you do have a legitimate problem, take it in. With enough documented cases, Ford will then issue TSBs for the specific problems. And if even more issues are documented and have to be fixed under warranty, a recall will finally be issued.

But it all lies on us, the customers, to actually bring our cars in if they have legit problems. If those of us with problems just suck it up and eat it, nothing will ever get done and the problem will just be swept under the rug.

And this is not a bash on Ford, because all the other car makers are just as guilty of doing the same thing. The dealers (it does not matter which: Kia, Hyundai, Cooper, VW, GM, Chrysler, or whatever seller) will try to convince you that you dont have a problem with BS like That is normal" or "I never heard of that before" or whatever. You do have to stick to your guns and MAKE them reproduce the problem. Otherwise, you are stuck with a problem that they just swept under the rug.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 AM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

The technician I took mine to said he understood where I was coming from and understands that it still may be happening but he could not reproduce it on the roads we were traveling on (even after going over 100) but he did send a complaint to Ford about it with my VIN attached to the report. I'm waiting to hear back. In the mean time, I'm still going to do some homework and possibly take it to another dealer in the area and get a second opinion. At least it's nothing like the 2011 problem with the pressure plate bolts where the car was undrivable. This is just a driving issue when really getting on the throttle. Point being, at least I can still enjoy my car while things are getting worked out. It likely will take more time than necessary given the situation but it could be worse right?