Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Time for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

hey guys - school me please .. I've been reading a bit but have a question.

it seems the popular setup of choice for folks with the new 5.0 is a simple axle back. on all of my previous cars I've done at minimum a full cat back, and at most, header back. is this car just too loud when you start doing more than an axle back?

I love an aggressive rumble and roar with minimal to no drone on the freeway. I am concerned an axle back may not be enough, but I don't want to over do it either (not after power gains - I think I'd be content with the stock power level). I am guessing my best bet will be to find a local mustang with an axle back and ask em to go for a spin, but I'd like to hear some feedback here as well. the audio from youtube videos just don't give you a proper feel.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
hey guys - school me please .. I've been reading a bit but have a question.

it seems the popular setup of choice for folks with the new 5.0 is a simple axle back. on all of my previous cars I've done at minimum a full cat back, and at most, header back. is this car just too loud when you start doing more than an axle back?

I love an aggressive rumble and roar with minimal to no drone on the freeway. I am concerned an axle back may not be enough, but I don't want to over do it either (not after power gains - I think I'd be content with the stock power level). I am guessing my best bet will be to find a local mustang with an axle back and ask em to go for a spin, but I'd like to hear some feedback here as well. the audio from youtube videos just don't give you a proper feel.
I would like to know the answer myself. I recently purchased an axle-back but hadn't had the chance to install or hear in person. But from what others in this forum has told me (who purchased the same axle back, Roush), they said it's pretty loud with a deep base sound.

Like you, I'm still subject on relying what I hear on Youtube videos.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 AM
delusiondejavu
2nd Gear Member

I have Magnaflow Competition Cat Back and I love it. I decided to go Full cat-back after having axle backs in the past and I must say that I love how loud it is. Now I want an X-Pipe and Headers because I want it louder. I already have complaints from neighbors so might as well make it louder.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

YouTube videos do not do exhaust videos any justice. This Roush exhaust is awesome. It does have a deep rumble at idle, but screams when you give it gas. There is barely any drone on the freeway. It's quite when you want it and loud when you want it. I chose axleback because i couldnt justify spending twice as much for cat back. Generally cat backs and x pipes are a little raspier. Or at least to me anyway. This Roush exhaust is just perfect. I also love it on cold starts when it idles about 1k for about 20 seconds. It's loud in my garage.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2012StangMan
YouTube videos do not do exhaust videos any justice. This Roush exhaust is awesome. It does have a deep rumble at idle, but screams when you give it gas. There is barely any drone on the freeway. It's quite when you want it and loud when you want it. I chose axleback because i couldnt justify spending twice as much for cat back. Generally cat backs and x pipes are a little raspier. Or at least to me anyway. This Roush exhaust is just perfect. I also love it on cold starts when it idles about 1k for about 20 seconds. It's loud in my garage.
I agree.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 AM
terrellble
1st Gear Member

I can third that. I live in an apartment complex that has parking right up near the doors and windows of the apartments. Since having the Roush axle back I've been parking in the lot next door out of respect to my neighbors.
It's quite loud on cold start for a minute, then slowly creeping out of the parking lot the sound bounces off all the apartments.
Still don't regret getting them though, just wait until they break in and it gets louder and bolder if you ask me.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The roush is louder and more aggressive. No drone. gt500 is quieter, still aggressive and probably within 10 dB of the roush. only two reasons to buy gt500 over roush; price, less attention.
Full catback would get rid of the kinks in the factory pipes. You can always purchase axleback exhaust and later get intermediate pipes from lethal perf. The only thing that makes these cars too loud is removing the cats. even the straight pipes are fairly quiet, but they drone.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
The roush is louder and more aggressive. No drone. gt500 is quieter, still aggressive and probably within 10 dB of the roush. only two reasons to buy gt500 over roush; price, less attention.
Full catback would get rid of the kinks in the factory pipes. You can always purchase axleback exhaust and later get intermediate pipes from lethal perf. The only thing that makes these cars too loud is removing the cats. even the straight pipes are fairly quiet, but they drone.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...-pipes-p-35379

Are you talking about these? I've seen them before but I was unclear if they bolt straight up to the x-pipe and if there are any fitment issue with aftermarket h/x pipes (I would assume not).
Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

thanks Clowe. very helpful. would you say the gt500 and roush tones are similar to one another? just slightly more audible from the roush?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Just run open headers, and you'll be the most popular guy in your neighborhood

Quick Reply: Time for exhaust