Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Flowmaster Outlaws

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
ryland52586

Default Flowmaster Outlaws

Yesterday, I took the first steps towards modifying my new mustang. Just to give you an idea, I have a 2012 mustang gt, nothing fancy, just kona blue and a six speed.

I ordered a set of flowmaster outlaws from amazon.com and paid 238 for them. Im pretty sure, based on the prices I've seen, that I got a good deal on them. They were delivered next day thanks to a free trial of amazon prime and, after a bit of trouble, no thanks to me, were bolted on and ready to rock.

When I was searching for a set of aftermarket exhausts, I looked at a lot of different options. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and did a lot of research before purchasing and, for my budget, felt as though the outlaws were the best value. I considered purchasing the borla ataks but didn't wanna drop 700 on them. I also considered the flowmaster hush powers because I was afraid the outlaws would be too loud.

I was right. My first start up was inside the garage and the decibels were overwhelming. The sheer sound drowned out all the lawn mowing, basketball playing, running, talking, and dog barking that was going on in my neighborhood at that time. I was scared to even back down the driveway because I was afraid to find out if my neighborhood had a noise ordinance.

Later that day, I did take it out on the road. The sound was overwhelming. Gone was my fear that it was too loud, lost in the excitement of the sheer volume and the subtle burble when I downshifted.

Holy **** these things sound good. I am amazed. When I start it, heads turn. When I rev it, people in cars next to me with windows up look to see what it is. When I get on it, it reminds me of a classic muscle car, perfectly tuned to the ears. Its exactly what I wanted.

My only qualm so far has been the drone. I knew from my research that there would be a drone, but i didn't know how loud it would be. Let me put it this way. So far, there are two loud moments with the new exhaust, the two loudest moments I've experienced so far. When I first start it, the rpms are higher than usual so it makes a lot of noise. But the burble between 1800-2200 is the loudest by far. By no means is it unbearable. But it sure is noisy. I can still maintain a conversation, but I could see myself being irritated if I had to drive for several hours at the same rpms.

One other interesting thing that I've noticed is that my gas mileage has increased. It's only gone up about two miles per gallon, but that's noticeable when you only average 16 and most of your driving is city. Now, it may be because I've taken to driving slower in most areas because it so loud and I don't want to wake my neighbors up. But I've noticed that it the car does seem to run smoother with the new exhausts on as well.

I've also noticed that when I downshift it doesn't slow down as much and I've been either having to downshift further or utilize my brakes more. Maybe flowmaster should extend its lifetime warranty to my brakes as well.

All an all however, this was an amazing purchase and I love it. It makes the trip between work and home so much more enjoyable.

Although if you don't want aggressive sound, I would probably recommend something a little bit more subtle.

I'll drop some picture of the install later and maybe throw a video on YouTube for you guys to enjoy.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM
General Jack

Congrats on the purchase; if you like that sound try adding long tube headers, off road x-pipe (cat and resonator delete). Loud is all relative...