Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

AEM is closed box. But it doesn't have a large tube that requires MAF recalibration that everyone is so fond of.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

If it were me, I'd just cover the hood vent on the underside. The 05-12 cars survived with no hood vents...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
If it were me, I'd just cover the hood vent on the underside. The 05-12 cars survived with no hood vents...
Once i pick mine up, most likely seems like this is the most viable solution. I asked Steeda via livechat and they have no reports of any issues yet. Once i get mine i will be able to get further troubleshooting done.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Raf63

Originally Posted by Mudflap
And that is certainly an option; it just seems like a shame to have to make that modification to a brand new car because an aftermarket component which is marketed as being a proper fit, isn't!
Btw I put a paper towel on top of the factory air box, closed the hood, washed my car in a "normal" fashion, and when I checked under the hood the paper towel was soaked! This is not looking good.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 AM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

I know we install the CAI for performance. Aslo looks. But, we really don't get that much out of it unless installing FI which then the CAI would be necessary.
I have an auto which I think only has 3:15 gears. If I want more go power then a better option would be to just do a tune, change gears to 3:55 or 3:73 and install mufflers for sound. Which I am installing Borla in a week.

I do not go to track. The car stock has lots of go and looks good as is.
Maybe all that have 2013 gt's just don't buy a CAI and then maybe when sells are zero the mfg's will do something. My thoughts would be to just add/bolt on something to the cover on the hood which would cause water to drain somewher other then on the filter.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Put scoops over the heat riser vents .......lol....

Anyone ever think Ford did this placement for a reason.......

Also, with the vent above the CAI filter, wouldn't that subject it to pulling in more hot air vs cold air since the hot air is trying to escape there?

I always thought heat riser vents worked better further back on the hood.....even the Shelby's are near the front. Seems like they remove radiator heat....not engine heat when the car is moving.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Those vents are not really pulling in heat. There is nothing under the hood to cause a suction. Think about it. When the car is moving, air enters through the front. As air enters the engine compartment, the vents allow more heat to escape easier through the vents. Air raises and is light. Water is heavy and gravity will pull it down through the vent and unfortunately onto the CAI.
I still love my GT/CS and would still have gotten it even knowing this dilema.
Not installing a CAI is not a big deal. Someone will come up with something for those who want to install the CAI.

I use to ride a Harley with a CAI. It was expose to rain and I rode in the rain. All I did was put the cover provided over the filter and no water entered.

The solution for us is probably just around the corner and a simple one.

Attention American Muscle: Help solve this....

Last edited by mustangergt; 07-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

My solution.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
My solution.
Hey boss, i have a special request. I have to different networks to access the internet at my current location but neither will display pictures on forums (ughh). Can you email me you pic to my gmail found on my accounts page? Really curious to see what you did. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

if it isn't displaying pics on forums your companies network policy is blocking photobucket... lame, but a lot of companies are doing that now.

as far as water entering the CAI a mechanic told me as long as the engine is running you can hook a water hose up to your intake and the engine will keep running without a problem. I'm not sure how much I trust that, I wouldn't try it. But this might not be as big of an issue as you guys are thinking it is. That might also be why no problems have been reported from using it without modification

Quick Reply: Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????