Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Pop when downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
kegboss1

Default Pop when downshifting

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a popping noise when downshifting,
particulary when letting the clutch out? I have taken the car to the dealer, and
a mechanic heard the noise I was describing. He checked everything from the
suspension to the driveshaft and everything looked ok. He also, stated he took
a new 2013 from the lot and was able to duplicate that sound in that car also.
Ford, told him it was a sound probably coming from the transmission -- which is "standard" in this car.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
kbirecki

This sounds odd (possibly suspicious). Is this on your 2012 GT? I have a new 2012 V6 manual, and drove the 2012 GT but heard no popping sounds on either on downshift. Is it consistent or not? Certain gears? During certain types of driving (i.e. hard driving vs. Sunday driving) or certain weather conditions?
What about asking another dealer for a 2nd opinion (but don't tell them it's a 2nd opinion.) Or possibly ask the first dealer to take you out in their new vehicle to demonstrate, and/or possibly let you try it for comparison. If it is as they say "standard", you'll get a better sense of that yourself, not that you can't trust your dealer, but maybe because the tech couldn't find a specific cause, that became the default answer.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Mine does this too. Even hear the popping at idle at times very faintly thru the exhaust. I've always thought it was factory h pipe.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 AM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

may be coming from the exhaust. the low rumble noise on my factory h-pipe could have sounded close to a popping noise. now that i have the aftermarket x-pipe and exhaust on, no popping noise while idle or getting on it. only hear it when i do a high rpm downshift
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

If it is the exhaust, it's normal. Mine does it too and is more noticeable with the Roush axle-backs.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 AM
kegboss1

Originally Posted by theczar
may be coming from the exhaust. the low rumble noise on my factory h-pipe could have sounded close to a popping noise. now that i have the aftermarket x-pipe and exhaust on, no popping noise while idle or getting on it. only hear it when i do a high rpm downshift
Yes, this is in my 2012 GT.

Like you just stated, the noise is more noticeable when downshifting at
higher RPM's especially when going from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd.

I told the dealer, I don't hear or have this "problem", w/ my 2008 Bullitt.
Which, of course really didn't get a reaction or a answer to the noise.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
If it is the exhaust, it's normal. Mine does it too and is more noticeable with the Roush axle-backs.
Agreed
Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
kegboss1

I suppose, maybe I should have made myself more clearier. This pop sound
happens pretty much when taking the clutch out when downshifting at the
high rpms. In fact, when the Ford mechanic was riding in the passenger seat
not only did he mention -- he heard it, but felt it also. Like, I said this only seems to happen thru 4 to 3, and 3rd to 2nd. It will occassionally, happen when
driving at a lower rpm but more times than not it occurs at the higher rpms
when down shifting into a turn or coming to a stop.

Last edited by kegboss1; 07-13-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 AM
kbirecki

If it is exhaust, I think I know how you can verify this. I replaced the stock exhaust on my V6 with a Roush set so that it would sound more like the sound of a V8 (sounds cool but less temptation to get in trouble since the V6 can't perform like the V8). So when I hit high RPM's, put the clutch in and take my foot of the gas, the compression in the engine changes significantly and I get the rumble/pop, but it is clearly from the exhaust. Try doing this: goose it up in a lower gear getting quickly to 25-35ish MPH, and then just put the clutch in and take your foot off the gas, letting the engine slow on it's own. If you hear the popping, it's the exhaust, not your transmission. With yours having the V8 it will be the true beefy sound I'm trying to reproduce on my cheesy V6. It's supposed to do that. Your Bullitt was tuned *very* specifically for a certain sound, and may no have the same backpressure changes (which I thin is the cause of exhaust "popping") that the 2012 GT has, thus the sound differences between the two vehicles). And in this case, it's not specifically anything to do with downshifting or your trans, you can do this at probably any speed where you quickly take the RPM's up high and then let off the gas and put in the clutch at the same time. Mine really only does it at lower speeds because it's not as powerful as yours. Personally, I think it is a cool sound.
If this is clearly not the sound you are referring to, and you only get the sound (and sensation as you mentioned) at higher speeds, maybe there is something else going on related to the trans, but try the "rev test" and let us know.

By the way, when you are downshifting, is this for instance when you are coming to a stoplight and slowing down? Someone that I knew years ago that did a lot of work on cars and drove manuals saw how I was frequently downshifting and asked me why I downshifted so much instead of staying in whatever gear I was in and letting the engine slow down to a little above stall speed. He said that gets you the free slowing down that you want and saves on clutch wear and tear. And he said besides, would I rather replace a clutch deep inside a transmission or four brake pads easily accessible behind the wheels? His point was that brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch. So I don't force as much downshifting as I used to, I leave it in gear until about 1000 RPM's then put the clutch in and brake the rest of the way. Your thoughts?