Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Driverside Upstream O2 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Default Driverside Upstream O2 Issue

First off, Sorry I've been gone so long guys! Times is tough and all that.

To the issue. Since Late April / Early May, I've had an intermitant issue with the car. It'll sputter/cough/spit etc. The ONLY thing I've done is take off the stock mufflers. I've NEVER programed the car or done any other modifications. I've taken it to the dealer now three times.

First Dealer Visit at Apple Ford in Columbia for this issue: Tech said that car was not 'O2 trained' back in April when Bob Bell Ford in Glen Burnie put in a new ECU after my car accident. Car ran fine for about 3 hours and then the CEL came back on and the sputtering/spitting started again.

I goto Advance Auto and they run the codes for me. THREE different O2 Sensor codes. High voltage/O2 Heater/and O2 failure(I think) all on the upstream DS O2 sensor.

I'm back at the dealer again for the same problem. THIS time, they can see that a new ECU was put in and say that it's throwing a code stating that I've tuned the car. Now I'm pissed. I've never tuned the car. I've been thinking about it, but I haven't done it. Apple Ford sends me to Bob Bell b/c they are the ones that replaced the ECU. At Bob Bell Ford, the Service guy tells me it's going to be $90 up-front to even look at it, and b/c it's a Saturday, I'll have to leave my car until at least Monday afternoon. (Now I'm HOT!) Why the F should I have to pay $90 when the car has less than 15K on it and it's an O2 sensor issue? He says that it isn't HIS problem. (I did not want to goto Bob Bell in the first place. I've heard NOTHING but bad things about the Service. The only reason they even touched the car is b/c the repair shop took it to THEM for the ECU and not Apple Ford like I told them to.)

So, yet again, this issue is making driving frustrating. I had a friend over last night w/ his SCT to pull my codes and yet AGAIN, I'm getting the SAME 3 codes AND a P00000 code which IDK what the heck it is. He cleared the codes and even w/out the CEL, she was spitting and coughing coming to work this morning. 30 min drive and the CEL did not come on though.

So, should I just say eff Ford and my warranty and get a cat-less X or H pipe, tune it, and buy a new DS Upstream O2 myself to get rid of the issue, or allow Ford to keep jerking me around and MAYBE actually fix the car? IF I were to EVER tune the car before doing Ken's Twin Turbo System, I would go w/ Bama b/c of their warranty and reputation. And while I'm at it, I might as well go w/ the CAI and Cat-less X, and put my stock mufflers back on. I like how the car sounds w/ out the mufflers and I KNOW that de-catting it will make it TOO loud and I don't need anymore attention from Johnny-Law-Dog. (Just b/c it's Red I get followed EVERYWHERE!)

Truthfully, I'd like to just keep it like it is and bolt on the Heartthrob muffler deletes and call it a day.....w/out the O2 sensor issue.

Thank y'all!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Welcome back man, good to see you posting again. I felt so bad when you posted the thread about smashing your car and all the **** that you had to go thru. I've actually been away from the forums myself. I was on like 80% of the time at work, but I had my internet priveledges revoked because I was on here so much haha. Recently I got internet back and am able to come online again, but I'm pretty sure that it will be short lived.

Back on topic, good to see that you have the car running again (sort of).

As far as dealing with the dealer, it sounds like they are trying to give you the good ole reach around. It sucks that that other dealer took it to the one with the ****ty service department. If they keep giving you a hard time, then I might just get your car back and take it to a more reputable dealership. Is your car still covered under warranty after your accident? If so, hit them with the Magnason Moss act.

As much as I would love to say "just mod the car and try to fix the issues yourself" I think im leaning more towards the latter..It sounds like you might want to fight with the dealer a little longer imo, to avoid running into any worse problems that you may have an even harder time sorting out. Maybe even pulling the ECU and sending it to BAMA they may be able to figure out what is going on with it. However if your not running their tunes yet then maybe not. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

My car is throwing a p0151 code. Low voltage. And ive already replaced both upstream sensors myself. Took the tune and cai off yesterday and went back stock and no light on yet. Hopefully u get this all figured out on fords dime. That dealer is def not a good one to deal with. But most Ford dealers don't like doing warranty work and will say and do anything to not do it. Good luck with Ford
Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I trust the guys at Apple Ford. Bob Bell is a whole different story. I wouldn't trust 'em to fix a mop under warranty.

I'm going to go in w/ a code reader this weekend and SHOW them at Apple what the codes are and say I want a new Driverside Upstream O2 Sensor. It should not take 'em more than 30 mins to install one, and they SHOULD have them in stock. Matter of fact, I'll call and make sure they have one. Anyone know the part number off hand?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Sorry ditty. I had a box with the number on it from the two I just replaced. Bit I must have thrown the box away yesterday or tuesday.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ditty
First off, Sorry I've been gone so long guys! Times is tough and all that.

To the issue. Since Late April / Early May, I've had an intermitant issue with the car. It'll sputter/cough/spit etc. The ONLY thing I've done is take off the stock mufflers. I've NEVER programed the car or done any other modifications. I've taken it to the dealer now three times.

First Dealer Visit at Apple Ford in Columbia for this issue: Tech said that car was not 'O2 trained' back in April when Bob Bell Ford in Glen Burnie put in a new ECU after my car accident. Car ran fine for about 3 hours and then the CEL came back on and the sputtering/spitting started again.

I goto Advance Auto and they run the codes for me. THREE different O2 Sensor codes. High voltage/O2 Heater/and O2 failure(I think) all on the upstream DS O2 sensor.

I'm back at the dealer again for the same problem. THIS time, they can see that a new ECU was put in and say that it's throwing a code stating that I've tuned the car. Now I'm pissed. I've never tuned the car. I've been thinking about it, but I haven't done it. Apple Ford sends me to Bob Bell b/c they are the ones that replaced the ECU. At Bob Bell Ford, the Service guy tells me it's going to be $90 up-front to even look at it, and b/c it's a Saturday, I'll have to leave my car until at least Monday afternoon. (Now I'm HOT!) Why the F should I have to pay $90 when the car has less than 15K on it and it's an O2 sensor issue? He says that it isn't HIS problem. (I did not want to goto Bob Bell in the first place. I've heard NOTHING but bad things about the Service. The only reason they even touched the car is b/c the repair shop took it to THEM for the ECU and not Apple Ford like I told them to.)

So, yet again, this issue is making driving frustrating. I had a friend over last night w/ his SCT to pull my codes and yet AGAIN, I'm getting the SAME 3 codes AND a P00000 code which IDK what the heck it is. He cleared the codes and even w/out the CEL, she was spitting and coughing coming to work this morning. 30 min drive and the CEL did not come on though.

So, should I just say eff Ford and my warranty and get a cat-less X or H pipe, tune it, and buy a new DS Upstream O2 myself to get rid of the issue, or allow Ford to keep jerking me around and MAYBE actually fix the car? IF I were to EVER tune the car before doing Ken's Twin Turbo System, I would go w/ Bama b/c of their warranty and reputation. And while I'm at it, I might as well go w/ the CAI and Cat-less X, and put my stock mufflers back on. I like how the car sounds w/ out the mufflers and I KNOW that de-catting it will make it TOO loud and I don't need anymore attention from Johnny-Law-Dog. (Just b/c it's Red I get followed EVERYWHERE!)

Truthfully, I'd like to just keep it like it is and bolt on the Heartthrob muffler deletes and call it a day.....w/out the O2 sensor issue.

Thank y'all!

I would call FORD, heck with all of this. Bell Ford WILL have a entry on your Ford Oasis report, they have to in order to replace your PCM. Skip all of this dealer who's who crap and call ANY dealer and ask for your local Ford rep or a direct line to Ford customer service.

THEY will contact the dealer and They will make this right for you! You bought this car with a warranty and you've done nothing to void it. Don't let some dealer BS you because they suck, goto the manufacturer!

Here's is the Ford direct customer service hotline, they should get you started!

800-392-3673

Thanks, Doug

I'm a Ford Senior Master tech and know this is how most do it.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Doug. I'll try to give 'em a call today.

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L
I would call FORD, heck with all of this. Bell Ford WILL have a entry on your Ford Oasis report, they have to in order to replace your PCM. Skip all of this dealer who's who crap and call ANY dealer and ask for your local Ford rep or a direct line to Ford customer service.

THEY will contact the dealer and They will make this right for you! You bought this car with a warranty and you've done nothing to void it. Don't let some dealer BS you because they suck, goto the manufacturer!

Here's is the Ford direct customer service hotline, they should get you started!

800-392-3673

Thanks, Doug

I'm a Ford Senior Master tech and know this is how most do it.