Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Intake/Tune???

Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
25bduse

Default Intake/Tune???

I am thinking about ordering an intake and programmer, but am unsure what tune to go with. I am interested in a ghost cam tune. Who has the least problems with their tunes? Also, what would be the best intake?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you will see close to the same performance from any intake - it is not a huge amount of power. you can't really go wrong with Steeda, Airaid, BBK, JLT, C&L etc. I chose steeda based on looks, quality and being one of the toprunners with powergains.

I can't really advise you on a ghost cam tune. I went with BAMA due to the volume of cars they've tuned, with lots of testing, and their warranty against the most common issue to occur. I wanted to go with Steeda for the tune but felt more comfortable with the #8 cyl warranty in my pocket. They claim they've had zero #8 cyl failures but that's not comforting enough knowing what these engines cost to replace.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
25bduse

So BAMA will warranty the #8 cyl.?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 25bduse
So BAMA will warranty the #8 cyl.?
Yes and only that.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I have been running the Steeda Ultimate pack for about 4 months now. 93 octane. Really make my over all driving come alive when needed. With that being said this is what I gather about tune issues. If I am wrong someone please step in and correct me. AM has replaced 3 due to #8 failure. Lund has lost 1 due to #8 failure. Steeda has lost 0. Not sure what years the failures were. The ghost cam thing to me is just not worth the 90 bucks for something that you cannot use everyday, but, that is just me and not a fact. It may be worht that to someone else.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

need to think about how many total cars are running their tunes, too. I have seen AM replace a couple / honor their #8 cyl warranty and to me, that's all the piece of mind I need.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Mapitts,

That is correct, we have had 0 engine failures when our tunes have been installed on a consumers car.

We invest a lot of money testing these tunes on our own cars that we purchase ... the end result is a flawless record.

0 issues with 1000's of cars tuned and counting.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I went with the the STEEDA cold air intake and BAMA for tuning. IMO I think the STEEDA CAI looks the best and compliments the tune well. As far as tuning goes I think that it will come down to what you want and who you want to go with. I dont think you can go wrong with a tune from one of the known tuners (BAMA,STEEDA,LUND) and that isnt in a particular order and a few others not mentioned.

For the GHOST cam tune I have it and it definitely will make you smile when you hear it . At times driving with it is a PITA but you will turn some heads and get a lot of attention. I only use it now and then on the weekends and when cruising around town.

Here is a short video of the GHOST tune on my car.
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/...qivwqkjvr.mp4/
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Mapitts,

That is correct, we have had 0 engine failures when our tunes have been installed on a consumers car.

We invest a lot of money testing these tunes on our own cars that we purchase ... the end result is a flawless record.

0 issues with 1000's of cars tuned and counting.

Best Regards,

TJ
I love my Steeda Ultimate Induction pack. Hard to believe that it wakes the car up as much as it does. Now I am rethinking the ghost cam tune. I have a stock exhaust w/ the factory H pipe with Borla axle backs. It is almost whisper quiet at idle. Would I hear the "lope" well or just barely? How much is it as well?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

All I can offer are the videos that are posted on youtube of our Cam Idle tune. Do a search for Steeda Cam Idle Tune or ghost tune to see the tune on consumer's cars.

The Cam Idle tune is a complete separate tune which runs $90.00.

We only offer the tune for manuals at this time.

Best Regards,

Tim

Last edited by tj@steeda; 11-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake/Tune???