Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 Mustang Surging Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
thepostageman

Default 2012 Mustang Surging Idle

Alright, so I need some help pretty bad here.
I have a 2012 5.0 with the steeda intake, and Full Stainless Works Exhaust.
With all of this on, at first I was running just the strategy tune on my sct tuner for the intake.

Heres where It went wrong.
IMMEDIATELY after I had a cutsom tune programmed on the car, it Idles like complete Crap.
These are the problems:
-Surging Idle
-Jerks when driving at constant speed
-push on the gas in lower gears and it accelerates, or stays at a constant speed on its own
-LOW on power
-CEL code still on

Ive already spent 300 dollars having my mechanic reset the ecu only for it to stay complete crap. He said his programming company told him the ecu was "all out of whack" so they "lied" to the computer to get it running good again. Still, not running good. Running like crap.

I would love for some suggestions on how to fix this? Is it an exhaust leak, intake leak, plugs, tune, ecu, something...
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by thepostageman
IMMEDIATELY after I had a custom tune programmed on the car, it Idles like complete Crap.
These are the problems:
-Surging Idle
-Jerks when driving at constant speed
-push on the gas in lower gears and it accelerates, or stays at a constant speed on its own
-LOW on power
-CEL code still on
So it ran fine up until the point you put the custom tune on the car?

Originally Posted by thepostageman
I would love for some suggestions on how to fix this? Is it an exhaust leak, intake leak, plugs, tune, ecu, something...
Seems like you answered your question. If it was fine and acted up when you put the custom tune on the car, then the problems is obviously in the tune.

Not sure what your mechanic did to the ECU - he may have caused more problems trying to trick it and reset it. Maybe you are no longer running the correct strategy with the "tricks" done to the ECU.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Get a email tune from a qualified tuner ie brenspeed, bama etc
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 PM
thepostageman

Originally Posted by JimC
So it ran fine up until the point you put the custom tune on the car?

Seems like you answered your question. If it was fine and acted up when you put the custom tune on the car, then the problems is obviously in the tune.

Not sure what your mechanic did to the ECU - he may have caused more problems trying to trick it and reset it. Maybe you are no longer running the correct strategy with the "tricks" done to the ECU.
Yes it was perfectly fine even with just the strategy tune from sct tuner.
I thought so about it being the tune, i just didnt want to blame or point fingers..

And I got the tune from bbr at latemodelrestoration.com

Also, he was saying that these new motors are relying more on electrical crap now.. Like the cams are controlled by the computers and idle.. so forth?

But this is pissing me off haha, I even reset the car back to stock using the tuner and it still doesnt run right..
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
thepostageman

Update on idle surging.
Tried relearn process, nope.

The car was running like this before my mechanic reset it.
I called up Gearheads in Arlington and they seem to be positive its a tune issue. They said ford has so many tunes for these cars since their sold everywhere, so getting the right one can be difficult.
Having it dynoed soon, hope this solves the problem.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:32 PM
JimC

I'm confused. What does the Ford stock tune and it's iterations have to do with the aftermarket tune that you put on and are having problems with now?

Or are you saying - as implied in an earlier post - that the shop messed with your stock tune and PCM? If so then it sounds like they screwed the strategy code even though the label is on the OEM for the 4 digit code and the SCT will pull the full strategy code.

What exactly did your guy do when he "reset" it? That needs to be explained

Sent from my SPH-L720 using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by JimC; 12-23-2013 at 02:02 PM.