Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Service Power Steering Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Torpedo

No worries, and thanks for the tips! Congrats to you as well!

So here's pretty much where I ended up today:

1) Ford replaces rack with OEM part, aligns and warranties it for 2 years - $1800

2) Independant replaces with Boss 302 rack, aligns and no warranty - $1600

I did some research and seems like the Boss rack also fixes some vibration issues and is an upgrade over stock even though it's cheaper, but worried about it not coming with a warranty. Not sure of the odds of I happening again.

Open to feedback, got to pull the trigger soon (assuming the connector trick doesn't work, seems like it's not my issue though)
Old 05-03-2018, 06:12 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torpedo
No worries, and thanks for the tips! Congrats to you as well!

So here's pretty much where I ended up today:

1) Ford replaces rack with OEM part, aligns and warranties it for 2 years - $1800

2) Independant replaces with Boss 302 rack, aligns and no warranty - $1600

I did some research and seems like the Boss rack also fixes some vibration issues and is an upgrade over stock even though it's cheaper, but worried about it not coming with a warranty. Not sure of the odds of I happening again.

Open to feedback, got to pull the trigger soon (assuming the connector trick doesn't work, seems like it's not my issue though)

The independent wont warranty EITHER rack installation? Or just wont warranty the BOSS rack? Would the dealer install and warranty the BOSS rack?
Old 05-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Torpedo

Independant shop (Steeda) was only quoting the Boss install, the rack itself doesn't have a warranty. They recommended it over the OEM part (even though the OEM is more money). If they installed the OEM rack, it's pretty much the same cost as going to the dealership.

The Ford dealer warranties the OEM rack and wouldn't install the Boss one since it isn't the OEM part, at least that's what they told me.

So I guess is the Boss rack worth not having a warranty on the part?
Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Always tough to get this kind of advice, because I don’t want to be the martyr if something goes south, but if it was my car and I knew that the Boss rack was going to fix my problem and eliminate other problems and also be an upgrade then I would definitely go with that. I feel like any part that you purchase should have some sort of warranty even if labor is not covered. Any OEM part, including the Boss part, should carry some sort of warranty from the manufacture. My experience is that it should be somewhere between 30 and 90 days even as a wearable item. It’s a crapshoot as far as the part not working out of the box but I’d say the chances are equal between the OEM rack and the Boss so it’s worth the gamble to upgrade.

Lastly, if I had to drop 1800 bucks Id feel a lot better telling people I upgraded my steering rack over telling people I just replaced an OEM part!

Hope this all helps!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Torpedo

Makes sense, good advice! My wife is so tired that she's not interested in helping make up my mind.

The only thing I'm seeing is the Boss rack says you need race tires and it's only for off-road use. Not sure if that's just to cover themselves or if it's really needed.

My suspension is otherwise stock.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

It sounds like the shop you’re having do the install has some experience with steering rack so maybe just ask them a few clarifying questions before proceeding with the repair ...? I believe the steering racks are electric as well so you may want to make sure you won’t have a conflict with software and computer issues. Just a thought, definitely let us know how it turns out, but after doing a quick Google search it sounds like those who have upgraded to the Boss are quite happy with the upgrade.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:36 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Must...1055947340404\

See if that one is still available, from a 2010 with 60k on it... $100
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Torpedo

So, Ford Racing had a live chat feature that I used to ask about the 302r rack. They strongly recommended I not install it into a stock GT and said it would be unsafe to use.

So, I've sourced a rack from a junked 2012 mustang for real cheap that I was just going to try.

Anyone know how involved it is to install? I don't have a service manual or anything. I know I'd need to get an alignment after I swap it out.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

From just some quick searches you have to lift the motor. Plus the alignment, which you can get close by marking threads or counting tie rod end turns. I use Les Schwab Tire Center pretty often and they do GREAT WORK, but... in CA they don't install supplied parts. Period. So there's that... I don't know your level of mechanical aptitude but it sounds like it's decently involved, but probably not impossible with a good manual, just gonna suck up time and take some trips to align and such. I'd decide whether saving a couple bucks is worth the hassle. Also... F**K Ford. lol. They never recommend anything cool.

If you're feeling unsettled: find some one who has the BOSS rack and ask them how it went. Problem solved. Do a search, I'm sure there are multiple threads.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Service Power Steering Help

Torpedo, I can feel your pain. Last month my 2014 GT needed a new power rack. The dealer told me to replace it would cost $2400.00. I asked why the whole rack had to be replaced, and my service advisor explained that the "Chip" inside the rack goes bad. This "chip" is sealed inside the steering rack when manufactured, and the chip is destroyed if you try to cut it out and replace it. Luckily I had a thousand miles left on my "extended/bumper to bumper coverage before it ran out. So the new rack ended up costing me $100.00 because of the "deductible". I can't believe these idiots can't manufacture a power steering rack with a "external" chip.

Quick Reply: Service Power Steering Help