AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

Tune issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Default Tune issue

Over the summer I had called, twice, concerning my custom 93 octane tune. I was getting a blow-off valve type of sound coming between shifts at high rpms, and I was always worried about this affecting the transmission. The representative I talked to had no idea and said to make sure the intake was on tight, which was not the case. Well, low and behold my 5R55S trans now seems to be shot. Won't go into second, grinds/whines, shifts late etc and is un-driveable. I've had it looked at by 2 shops now, and am currently working to get a determination on what to do in terms of getting this fixed. A close friend of mine works at a dealership as a mechanic and said that often the line pressure can be set too high and can cause problems.

The reason for my writing is to bring this to your attention, and also to those who have experienced any similar problems. I remember there was a few threads concerning this issue, and have talked to a couple people who have had similar problems:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...correctly.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ma-tune-2.html

For what it's worth, my car is (or was) a daily driver with 63k, 0 track time, mods in sig (nothing major, 8.8 hasn't been installed yet)

Alec
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Slug Catcher
1st Gear Member

Holy crap man!

Whats the Bama tune got the pressure set at???

I need to check mine.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

The line pressure isn't what I believe is causing your issue, but it's more than likely the sound you were hearing. I just don't think the sound was necessarily related to the failure. These 5r55's are alot different than previous years, where there were simply shift pressure tables that got jacked up for firmness. These trans actually use requested torque values, rate to use for inertia torque, clutch fill times, etc. We've got 5r55's running in the 11's with stock trans, stock pan, stock converter.

The first thread that you posted was from 2009, well before the AM/Bama merger. Bama's previous files and values are not at all being used by us on a day-to-day basis. Everything that currently comes out of the Bama office is from either Mike Wilson or myself. If you've purchased in the last 8-9 months, or got updated tunes in the last 8-9 months, it wont be the shift pressure. If you got it from AM longer than 8-9 months ago, the transmission parameters they used much more tame, and definitely not going to be the issue.

As for the last thread that you posted, I believe too that it was either line pressure or converter lock/unlock making the noise. It does it in our red 2006 Auto GT, and it's got 73 or 74k miles on it. The line pressure is a byproduct of everything else that we do in the calibration. We've literally sent out thousands of auto 05-10 tunes without this being an issue, so I'm not saying "100% no way it was the tune", but I'm definitely saying it's unlikely that it was the tune, or atleast the tune alone.

Either way, we're curious what the transmission shop finds. We're definitely here to stand by our work and help you in any way possible. You've been a great customer, we value your business and always appreciate the support and word-of-mouth. Keep us in the loop. Shoot me over PMs at any time!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I had a "custom" 93 tune from before the merger, one that came with the JLT CAI and SCT combo pack, which I received around 12/2009. It was a lot better than stock.

Maybe a month or so after the AM/Bama merger, I called and asked for a new tune, just out of curiosity to see if the Bama tunes were any better. I noticed they were a lot more potent so to say than the previous tune I received from AM. This is also when I started hearing the sound in between shifts.

I don't have any real power adders nor is it a race car, so it seems to me for a trans to fail at 63k is pretty premature. Granted it is a Ford and sh*t does happen
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, with the older tune - I know shift pressure wasn't going to be an issue. With the newer one, there's definitely more shift pressures, but I still don't think that was it.

Either way, like I said - we value you as a customer and we'll do right by you. Keep us up-to-date on this. I want to stay proactive on it so that we know where we stand with you.

Good luck! Let's get you back on the road!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'm having the trans rebuilt and it's should to be done today. Can't really pinpoint exactly what caused it but either way I needed to get it fixed and taken care of

I'm also having them install the 8.8 with 3.73's while they're at it. Is there any reason to alter the tune for that? I know the speedo might be off a little
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
I'm having the trans rebuilt and it's should to be done today. Can't really pinpoint exactly what caused it but either way I needed to get it fixed and taken care of

I'm also having them install the 8.8 with 3.73's while they're at it. Is there any reason to alter the tune for that? I know the speedo might be off a little
Yes, if the MPH is off, the shifting will be off.

Shoot me over your first/last name and email address and full list of mods. I'll update your old files with the new gear ratio. Let me know what the rear tire size is, too.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

PM sent. Thanks again Chris