Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

radar detector install ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:28 AM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Default radar detector install ?

I want to hardwire my new passport 8500 into my 2004 GT. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to place it, run the wires, and what wires/fuses to run it off of.
Pics would be greatly appreciated

Tks
Old 06-15-2004, 12:36 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: radar detector install ?

Why hardwire it? If you get pulled over, you're almost sure to get a ticket if the cop sees it. It's also an invitation for theft.

I put mine on the dash directly in front of me. It hides it from the view from behind, and if I get pulled over, it comes off and is hidden in 3 seconds. You have more chances of getting away with a warning if you don't appear to be a chronic speeder.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:04 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Well as far as getting off with a warning I already got pulled over once after having the car for a month, (bought it two days before yours) and got my warning so if I get pulled over again I am getting a ticket no matter what. As far as theft goes the 8500 has a quick release button to take it off the mounting bracket and the plug in is a simple telephone like looking jack. It will be taken out of the car at night. Also where you have it placed it reduces its detection capability so what is the use of having one?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I plan on wiring mine up hardwire. I plan on putting a cig lighter in the glove box and wiring it into a 12v source when the car is on. I did that in my Honda and it worked perfect.

I plan on putting it up next to the mirror right above it or just below it. Everytime I have been stopped, the cops never get down low enough to look that high on the windshield.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:35 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

I would like to put it above the rear view mirror but I don't know how much those dots that make the shape of a pony are going to effect the performance of the detector.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:57 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Is the detection capability of a radar detector on the dash vs. under the rear view mirror any different when the cop is about 1/4 mile away?

I wish they made radar detectors that can have the antenna or receiver hidden on the roof and the rest of the electronics hidden under the dash.

A little off topic... Just be aware that radar detectors are so easily defeated by instant-on. In my years and years of driving Texas freeways, I have very seldom come across a speed trap that leaves their radar gun on. It is almost always operated by instant-on. The few times I've seen a radar gun being constantly on is when the cop car is rolling, usually in the opposite direction. I rely more on strategic speeding than my radar detector. Learn to recognize situations where you can easily be spotted and clocked, and situations where you have good cover.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:26 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Yes....if he is a 1/4 behind you. If it is placed there you are blocking RADAR that is being emitted from behind you.

I know all about RADARS...i have used one successfully for the past 5 years in my truck. When I got pulled over in the Mustang I was in a line of cars all going to same speed. I know if I had the detector I would have been warned ahead of time when he shot the other cars. He either pulled me over because I was in a mustang or because I was the last one in line.

I didn't really want this thread to turn out to a radar is worthless or a get a V-1 instead of a passport. I just wanted some suggestions on hard wiring the detector.

I know this is a noob question but I don't even know where the fuse panel is on a Mustang. I am assuming it is on the drivers side somewhere but is it screwed in behind some interior trim or is there a handy little access hatch somewhere like on my POS s-10
Old 06-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

I have mine mounted in the molding for the shifter... took me a while to cut the hole for it but it looks great... and I'm having a custom piece made so that it looks like it belongs there... yes... it does still detect everything because it's one of those multiple piece detectors... the laser detectors go on either window, front or back and the radar detector goes right in the engine compartment... never really had a problem with the cops being behind me... usually I can tell if they're cops or not (those 1400000000000000 antennas usually give them away even if the car is blue and unmarked)... I rely on my detector to find speed traps... which is really the only thing they're good for.

This is what I have... and to answer propellerhead's comment... they do make them... I have one... have had it for 3 years now.

Hardwiring is easy... just run a fused wire to your battery or to another fused wire and then ground it... and you're done.

Oh yeah... and your fuse panel is under the driver side... on the left... has a small cover... just pull it off... if you have the new 99+ model then you have mini fuses... if you have the sn95 model... then you have regular fuses... you could always put a new fuse in if you wanted... I just tapped off the cig lighter and grounded to the tranny.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:17 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Tks for the reply krusher. I will probably run the wire from the rearview mirror to the headliner and run between that and the roof to the drivers side. then take it down the A pillar which apparently has a piece of trim that just pulls off. From there i guess run it between the door and the dashboard and end it at the fuse box where I just stick it in a fuse that is powered when the car is turned on.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdgosch

Tks for the reply krusher. I will probably run the wire from the rearview mirror to the headliner and run between that and the roof to the drivers side. then take it down the A pillar which apparently has a piece of trim that just pulls off. From there i guess run it between the door and the dashboard and end it at the fuse box where I just stick it in a fuse that is powered when the car is turned on.
perfect... that a piller fits a lot of wiring and if you run it straight down the dash (behind everything obviously) you will run right into the fuse box.

Quick Reply: radar detector install ?