Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

mach460 dilemma. Need experts!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
forbanger
1st Gear Member

Default mach460 dilemma. Need experts!

Hi to all! I am a newbie in the mustang world I am one of those guys who have bought magazines fo years but didn't have a car. Well, the wife said yes and my hunt began. I ended up purchasing a 1995 GT bright red at a bargain price. I didn't have a head unit though.
This is where my problem begins. I bought a head unit of e-bay but the thing didn't work. The radio worked turned up the volume all the way up and all I could hear is a faint sound of the radio station coming from the tweeters.
I did some research and found out that the car is MACH 460 specific (I guess the headunit part number has to end with the letters CA). Back to e-bay and purchased another radio. Same thing happened, turn up the volume way up and you could just hear the faint music playing from the tweeters.
More research and now I am thinking it is from amp. I have check all the fuses. under engine compartment and in the car but everything looks good.
What do you guys think? Is there a way to test the amps?
I am almost thinking of buying an aftemarket deck and having it installed at circuit city. The tech at Circuit City said that if I go that route they would have to run new wire to every speaker. He also said that it should sound comperable to original(sound wise).
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
One more thing, does anyone know if the cruise control, horn, and foglights are some how connected on these vehicles? I guess that is another problem I have to tackle. none of them work.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: mach460 dilemma. Need experts!

page 2 of my sig shows a little bit of the mach460 in my 94, exactly the same as yours. What hrns are you plugging into? is it a small black square one or is it a 8 pin that is the same size as the power(the hrns I point to in my sig)?

No reason to pay anyone to put a deck in or look at it, I'll get you through it....
Old 01-25-2007, 03:03 PM
forbanger
1st Gear Member

ttocs,
That is some great information! Just wondering if this actually bypasses all the factory amps?
Any yes the stock harness is identicall to yours.
Where did you buy your new harness from?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you can get them at any autoparts store, ford hrns 70-1770.

The way mine is wired up, my deck drives the tweeters behind the mirrors and the rear tweeters. The stock amps are still being used to drive the stock subs. I used capacitors to limit the bass to the tweeters, and the variable sub output from the deck gives the signal to the stock amps. This allows me to adjust the volume of the subwoofers seperatly to add more or less bass at any time. It actually brightened up the stock system and with the tunability of the alpine system compensated for what the stock system lacked..
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 AM
forbanger
1st Gear Member

In my case I don't know if the rear amps work? Is there any way to bypass those? How about to test them and see if they work?
Like I had said in my first post I had never had the whole system running.

Thanks,
Jose
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
forbanger
1st Gear Member

Ok, I guess a better question to ask is would installing an aftermarket head unit while using the stock harnesses would still work? would ther be actual sound coming out of the speakers?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
03machyellow
3rd Gear Member

just redo the stereo get a new head unit a 4-channel amp with new speakers and you will enjoy it
Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hey Joe. Seems to me the original post may be related to ohms of speakers or HU is not grounded. Confirm all grounds are good and re-check. Factory speakers are usually 8ohm (have seen 16 ohm before) New car stereo HU'sare for 4 ohm applications. The higher the ohm, the more power is needed to play the speaker (that is about the extent of myohm'sknowledge)

My car is an '02 and connected an aftermarket Alpine HU and wired to drive the 4 small speakers (behind mirrors, and on back deck) The harness I have has an input for the RCA jacks that supply signal to the amps (located under the speaker box bolted under the back deck driving the 5x7s in doors and on back deck) and plays fine. I guess MY speakers are 4 ohm. I never checked as I removed my entire system, except HUshortly there after. Maybe I will hit up the classifieds here and sell it all to someone who can use it.

I Would suggest getting an aftermarketcar speaker, 4 ohm, and just connect it to the speaker wire on the back of the HU, and see if it plays normal volume. If the HU works and is wired correctly, it will play!If it does, take the next step and connectspeakerto the factory plugs that connect to the speakers behind the mirrors. If it DOESNT play normal, I would run all new speaker wires as Ford might put resistors in system somewhere or something.

Let us know what comes of this idea.

The Jazzer