Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing a stereo into my 1986 Mustang LX Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 AM
86_mustang

Default Installing a stereo into my 1986 Mustang LX Convertable

Hi I am new to installing stereos. I bought a 1986 Mustang LX Convertable off a friend and there was NO stereo gear in the car...None what so ever. So what I was wondering was where the front and rear speakers are located. There are none in the car now but I am going to install new ones. What size of speakers will fit the front and what size will fit the rear. The speakers I have are 2 6.5" and 2 6x9's. This is all in that Sony Xplod kit from Walmart that comes with the head unit and those speakers. Has anyone bought one of these and has it worked? It says it also has a HOP Cone Woofer. Does it also come with an AMP? Thanks for any info guys.

Tyler
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forum. The first piece of advise that I can give you is to stop shopping for audio gear at walmart. Sony is their high end line but on the car audio ladder it is still a brand most car audio people will try to skip. Sony makes great TV's and vidoe gear but they have not been known for anything car audio related since the ES line went away in the early 90s.

You are lucky that the radio was removed from it as the combination of difficulty in removing the stock radio and the common ground wiring system makes that car no fun to install a deck in it. Can you get a picture of the wiring in the deck?

Speaker sized I believe are 5.25" up front in the doors, 3.5s in the dash and the back of the car will depend on what body style your car is but the 6 x 9s are too big as well.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM
86_mustang

Hey. Thanks for the quick reply. I could get you a pic but the stereo gear is acually for Christmas and I wasnt supposed to see it but I kinda seen it. I am 17 Years old but this is just for starters...I am meaning the Sony system. After a while I plan on upgrading to all Alpine stuff. But where are thje dash ones located...like where in the dash I mean. Thanks

Tyler