Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

looking for a new sound system, need help from audio experts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

he pieced together his system over time

i think im gonna skip out on the subs and just do the door speakers, rear decklid speakers, headunit, and would i need an amp?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
he pieced together his system over time

i think im gonna skip out on the subs and just do the door speakers, rear decklid speakers, headunit, and would i need an amp?
An amplifier will always sound better. That's one of the things that makes your friend's Mach system sound so good. But I want you to keep this in mind. He paid an extra $1,600 probably for the Mach system, and you are trying to get that sound with only $300. I'm not saying that you have to spend $1,600 to get that sound, but If you wanna play you gotta pay. For about $1,000 you can get a system that will blow away his Mach audio.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
dw32005
2nd Gear Member

I'd get the suggested head unit. And some of these if your trying to keep cheap. If you can afford better speakers in the end then spend more. I"ve always liked the pioneer speakers though. As far as an amp you shouldn't need one. Your head unit will supply more then sufficient power to these speakers. Worry about getting an amp when you get your subs. Getting a new head unit though will be the single best thing that you could do for your sound.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

i said **** it. went to bestbuy and bought what i could afford :P didnt feel like hunting online plus paying for shipping.

i got the jvc deck for 139$: JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-/Satellite Radio-/HD Radio-Ready CD Deck KD-R610

i got 2 pairs of these pioneer 6x8's for 64$ each set (i got 2 sets, 4 speakers total) so 129.98 for the speakers: Pioneer - 6" x 8" 3-Way Car Speakers (Pair) TS-A6872R

gonna get an alpine 10" sub next week when i get payed and amp. and box.

so total i spent 269$ (no tax, drove 20 minutes to a delaware bestbuy) i dont give a **** if you guys think i payed too much. i just wanted the **** now and didnt feel like dicking around trying to find used stuff, or searching for hours online for the best deals, then having to wait for shipping, and shipping charges blow.

i was planning on getting the wiring harness at best buy with the dash kit. the guy was like yeah its gonna be 44 bucks. I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE and walked away. i told him i get get it for 5.99 online, he said yeah right and tried to get me to buy it their. i walked away. went home, hopped on ebay and bought a wiring harness for 5.99$.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I don't think you paid too much...Thats about what I thought it would run ya. Let us know how it turns out after you get it all in.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

ill let you guys know how it sounds and if im pleased with it. im sure i will be
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

amazon.com has amazing prices compared to Best Buy or Crutchfield. I saved over $400 getting my stuff to piece together my system from them (Pioneer AVH-P3100 DVD head unit, 4 Pioneer TS-D6802R 6"x8" speakers, 12" Alpine Type R sub, Pioneer GM-D9500F 4 ch. amp, and a Alpine MRP-M500 mono amp for the sub).

I had the Mach 460 system you are raving about and the system I have now blows it completely out of the ****in' water. There is no comparison.

Also I read you are getting an Alpine sub.... get the Type R and AT LEAST a 500 watt rms mono amp. You WILL NOT be disappointed. Read the reviews, they speak for themselves.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

thats the one im getting alpine type r 10 inch sub and the mrp m500
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
thats the one im getting alpine type r 10 inch sub and the mrp m500
FTW good choice sir.

BTW, if you want your four speakers to sound good at high volume, you're gonna need an amp man. Mine sounded like crap when they were powered off the head-unit's amp. They distorted at high volume and had no bass. In fact, it sounded bad, really bad at high volumes. And with that killer sub/amp combo, it is gonna totally drown out your mids and highs if they don't have an external amp. If you get an amp for them eventually, make sure it's a few watts more rms than your speakers are rated for... it's better to slightly have more power for the speakers than keep them underpowered... you can always turn down the gain. Sorry if I'm kinda disappointing you, but I'm just being honest. Although there's a decent chance for it to sound better than your stock system, it's not gonna be as good as the 460 without an amp for those speakers. It will have bass though, plenty of it.

I'd recommend the 12" sub too, it's only like $20-$30 more. In a sealed box, it is more than tight enough for rock and metal music (fav bands are Metallica, AC/DC, Pantera, Children of Bodom, etc.) and when I play some Dr. Dre and Eminem, the Type R takes it to a whole nother level.

Last edited by ayrton02; 07-10-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

yeah? Do you think I should get a alpine 1000w amp? Could I use that for the singe sub + the 4 pioneers? Would it be enough power? Or do you think I should do a 500w for the sub and a 500w for the 4 speakers?

Quick Reply: looking for a new sound system, need help from audio experts!