Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp Size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Amp Size?

Profile is not a better brand than fosgate. Im not saying that fosgate is the best which they are not. But I would say that the quality of fosgate is better than profile. You can go out and buy a kingwood amp and it could say 1,200 watts but it can only be 100 watts of TRUE power. Mabye not that dramatic but I make my point by saying that fosgate is a better amp than profile. I recommended this amp because he had fosgate subs. If he wants a better amp he can go out and get JL audio or Kicker. But thats just one that I recommended.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:23 PM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

My freind who got a JL252.1 amp from his bro and he bought some JL subs, when i finished my box i hooked em up to that amp and they sounded almost as good if not better than the JL's. It was a better as in tighter cleaner bass but mines in a sealed box and the one i made for him is a vented box. But i think i need about 250, the crutchfield advisor recemmended a 350 RMS sounds good to me. PROFILE too only a hundred bucks 3 year warranty sounds good to me if it screws up maybe ill have a job and i can buy all new stuff.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
bonesninja
2nd Gear Member

jimmz---are you kidding me? if you can show 1 single instance where a speaker was blown because it was underpowered then i will bow down. underpowering has never blown a speaker--ever. if you are gonna act like its YOUR **** that don't stink then you should at least give correct info. Clipping damages speakers and amps not underpower. And whether you like it or not 1 watt always =1 watt--no exceptions. Profile amps are great amps for the money, fosgate has good amps too but there are better deals for the money. And for someone who "works in car audio" to say something like even crappy subs can sound good if they have a decent amp is totally ignorant. SQ is 90% install dependant. you can have the best speakers in the world and if they are installed incorrect they will sound like road gears from wal-mart. Amps do contribute to sq but more in your highs and mids then in sub bass freqs.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

What are you talking about! people blow their speakers all the time by underpowering them. People buy aftermarket decks and aftermarket speakers which is underpowering them because a decent deck puts out like 22 watts per channel. And what are speakers rated act like 60-100? thats WAY underpowering your speakers. All im saying is that no speakers should be un amped. I have people come in all the time that have blown their speakers cuz they turn up their music and the speakers get blown cuz there isnt enough power to them. Im not saying you cant blow your speakers by overpowering them thats why you have to watch how much wattage you have going into them. [sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 AM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I have to disagree Jimmz. Overdriving an amplifier will cause clipping of the sine wave. If the wave is clipped bad enough (e.g. - high/low frequencies have no difference in amplitude), you will start to see compression of the signal. This, in turn, produces distortion/noise in the sound. This distortion is what eventually leads to the malfunction of the driver. Now, weather you wish to say this is, in effect, an underpowering of the voice coil is subjective I suppose. Obviously, if you are overdriving an amplifier to achieve a desired volume level, your amp does not posess enough power to effectivly drive the speaker. However, it is NOT the lack of power given to the speaker that is causing the damage. It is the distorted output of the amplifier due to overdriving that is to blame.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 AM
gotmineNov04

O.K. so it's a battle of semantics. Speakers generally blow because they're fed clipped sine wives, as stated by pj1010, not literally that they're underpowered. But amps that are driven beyond their rated power output create clipping distortion, so they're not powerful enough to drive the speakers cleanly, as stated by Jimmz. So call it whatever you want, but I swear by this with any brand: if the phrase "peak power" is used in any specs, for either amps or speakers, you're dealing with an inferior manufacturer. The difference between "peak" and "clipping" is nonexistent; never get near that limit or you'll be replacing speakers. Make sure that both speakers and amps are rated at "continuous rms/channel" and that the amp(s) are slightly lower than the speakers for best results. However, the amp can be rated substantially less than the speaker with acceptable results, provided that it's not overdriven into clipping. IMO
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 AM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for restating what I just said.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:47 AM
gotmineNov04

You're welcome. For some unknown reason (like stupidity) I missed part of your post. I'm on your side, 100%! By the way, what's your system, pj?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:57 AM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I'm just razzing you. Glad to see someone else knows their stuff.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:54 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

All im saying is that no speakers should be un amped
-Jimmz... Well duh If a speaker is not amped there won't be any sound from it. Sure you can blow speakers by underpowering them, only if your a complete idiot and can't tell when the speakers are making a god aweful noise because your driving the hell out of them with ANY amp not just one that under or over powering speakers, or hell even if you perfectly pair speakers with the right amp size are you saying you'll never blow them? Power has (almost) nothing to do with blowing a speaker, distortion does. And Rockford Punch series amps, are no better than Lightning, Sony or Jensen in fact Rockford owns Rockford Fosgate, Lightning Audio, MB Quart and Q-Logic. Which all suck, yes MB Quart now sucks, 5-10 years ago is a different story. And saying
Profile is not a better brand than fosgate
And thats saying alot eh? And yes if he wanted to waste more money he could go get Kicker or JL amps. And no just having a good amp won't make crappy woofers sound good. That would be like saying a good dvd player will make any tv look great. Although it does help, I have a Phoenix Gold amp running my 2 12" power acoustik subs, it sounds horrible. But I know the problem, the woofers are JUNK. My amps fine I know what is capable of and I know it will compliment any good subwoofers. ( I bought those power acoustik's when I worked at Best Buy and just wanted bass, never again will I buy crap like that, even at employee pricing). RMS is what an amp should be putting out under normal operating conditions, generally at 14-14.5v never at the 12-13.5 your car will normally be putting out. Anyhow back to the original postee's question. That Profile amp will work fine with the Rockford woofers.
Just to capitalize on how ****ty Rockford is... Friend had a "900" watt Rockford amp, with 2 12" Type-R's, switched to a MTX 282, which is rated at 1/2 the watts. It is in fact, not fact but to the ears of everyone that heard his woofers with the Rockford, then the MTX,much cleaner bass not to mention louder as well. Rockford sucks and should only be bought and in the cars of people stupid enough to buy car audio from Best Buy, at normal price mind you, not at employee prices. BTW is that where you work Jimmz? Sounds like it the way you talk about car audio, that attitude that a Sony rated watt is equal to a Zapco rated watt. Have you ever even heard of Zapco? Do you know who makes Zapco? That "Don't let anyone walk out of here without going through a cash register" state of mind Best Buy has. Hope all this bickering has helped you blackstang

Quick Reply: Amp Size?