Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp Size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Amp Size?

Ive got two punch stage ones, i know there crappy but they sound good for my purposes. Any ways ive finally got money to buy an amp. So what i need to know what is a good amp for them. they are at two ohms, and the total power between both of them is 300. So I need an amp thats not under powering them and not to much to were they blow or get distorted, im lookin to spend very little money here.

I just read on best buys website that they can handle 150 RMS, but my maneul says 125 So im not sure which is right but they handled 250 watts fine the other day so i guess 300 is the limit.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 PM
bonesninja
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Amp Size?

are the voice coils single coil@4 ohms? if so look at a Viper 300.1 if they are 2 ohm coils look at a Viper 400.2 these are good quality amps for not alot of money--not sure what you budget is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIRECTED-VIPER-A...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIRECTED-Viper-A...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

If theres an MTX dealer around you the T282 is a solid little amp you can buy them retail for about $175, so you do some internet you can find them for almost half of that. Infinity 7521a, about $200 retail, plenty of power. If your a Best Buy type the Alpine, M-350 (if subs are single VC) $200 retail as well. All of those are enough power for your application I think.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 PM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

They are single voice coil 4 ohms, has ne body ever used a profile amp?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

if you get a good amp to the subs itll even make those sound good. for the rms of the subs I'd go with a 400 watt rmsx2 so that you get 200 watts to each speaker. The rms is the MINIMUM WATTAGE so go with a lil more an youll be good. Profile amps arent good for subs cuz they dont have that much power. if your looking for an amp go with a fosgate P5002 thatll make your subs hit!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimmz

if you get a good amp to the subs itll even make those sound good. for the rms of the subs I'd go with a 400 watt rmsx2 so that you get 200 watts to each speaker. The rms is the MINIMUM WATTAGE so go with a lil more an youll be good. Profile amps arent good for subs cuz they dont have that much power. if your looking for an amp go with a fosgate P5002 thatll make your subs hit!
That is somewhat misleading. RMS is not, in fact, the minimum amount of power to give to a speaker. It is exactly what is says - an average. Depending on the make of the speaker, you may be able to inch a little more power into the subs. However, power over RMS brings heat into play. That is to say, you run the risk of your coils fusing.

I CAN agree that purchasing an amp with a little more juice than the stated RMS is a good idea. Running an amp a 100 percent load has a tendancy to wear on it, and consequently, sound quality diminishes.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

The rms is the "true" wattage and what is recommended to be powered by. But you are more likely to blow your speakers by under powering them than over powering them. I would get that amp I was telling you about. I work in car audio so I know what I'm talking about. Im not saying that I am an "expert" but I deal with this everyday and even lower brand subs sound decent if they have a good amp running to them. If you arent sure if you wanna go that high then you can get a lower amp but your subs wont sound as good. Thats just my .02
Old 10-04-2005, 11:42 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

No...the RMS is not the "true wattage." The acronym even gives this away - root MEAN square. Again, I am not arguing with you about your suggestion to buy this amp. I am just stating that the RMS is NOT the minimum, nor the "true". It is an average of spikes and lows over a given amount of time. Running your speakers above this power rating can damage them in other aspects other than simply too much power. I.E. - damage due to speaker bottoming, overheating if the coil is not vented, etc. As I stated earlier, you can run your coils at slightly higher than their rating within a given period of time. Run them at higher than rated for extended periods of time, and they will melt. I'd be especially worried about overpowering a subwoofer than can only handle 200 watts to begin with.

Secondly, how can someone that deals with car audio "on a daily basis" make such a blanket/ignorant statement as "profile amps don't have enough power." I mean, come on. He never named a model number for you to base that statement on. Aside from that, it can be factually recognized that Profile does, in fact, make amplifiers with plenty of power for his set up.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

WTH! do you kno anything about car audio? I deal with a lot of brands and there are a lot of better amps than profile. Profile does not make an amp that has a lot of rms. Know what the hell your talkin about, an dont act like your sh*t dont stink. Im not makin this up, I made that statement because there is a lot of better amps that would give him better sound. Quit tryin to argue so you can sound like you know what ur talking about.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:20 AM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

http://www.profileusa.com/products_amps_ap.cfm

480x2 @ 2 ohms RMS. You're right. That isn't enough power for two little RF Punch Subs. Furthemore, the stats on the Profile amp are better than the Fosgate.

Yes, there are PLENTY of amplifiers out there that are worlds away from Profile. However, given the type of subs he stated he is running, you'd probably be wrong to say he will notice a difference between the two brands.

Quick Reply: Amp Size?