Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with backup camera on on s197 with Kenwood HU

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM
chance.316

Default Help with backup camera on on s197 with Kenwood HU

So I got bored today and picked up a rear camera. Tapped reverse light and ground to the camera. Plugged video cable to HU. And ran the HU purple reverse camera wire to power cable from rear reverse light. Here's the problem: Camera only turns on if I manually turn it on (hold Nav button for 2 seconds). How can I get my HU to switch to rear camera automatically?

thanks guys
Old 07-09-2015, 09:53 PM
chance.316

BTW: HU is a Kenwood dnx 5120 in a 07 Shelby GT with a standard reverse cam with power and video cable.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

My best guess is that there is a setting in the kenwood that will turn it on automatically. I have only used pioneer and the two I have had have automatically turned on when I went into reverse. Also it might be a separate connection at the back of the head unit that you have to make. I think the reverse lights can be the actual signal so either run a wire from there, or run a wire from a different part of the wiring harness to make it work. some newer cars don't need to run a wire from the reverse light, that is because there is already a signal from the car's wiring harness going to the factory radio, you might just need to tap into that. sorry I can't be more help.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

would you mind posting a few pics of how you mounted the camera and all for someone who is considering doing the same type of upgrade??

I'd appreciate it. I haven't picked out a head unit, but am starting to look and wonder if I want to go ahead and possibly upgrade the HU and add a camera while I'm at it.

Thanks either way...

andretti
Old 08-05-2015, 01:52 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

The camera I have is mounted to the license plate. There are plenty of pictures of it online. I would post one of my install but I won't be around my car for another week or so.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 AM
Sightwaves-tech Anthony

Originally Posted by chance.316
So I got bored today and picked up a rear camera. Tapped reverse light and ground to the camera. Plugged video cable to HU. And ran the HU purple reverse camera wire to power cable from rear reverse light. Here's the problem: Camera only turns on if I manually turn it on (hold Nav button for 2 seconds). How can I get my HU to switch to rear camera automatically?

thanks guys
Not sure if u fixed the problem it has been some time there is a camera auto turn on on camera settings u have to tell the radio to switch when u put it in reverse
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Bary

Default backup camera

Originally Posted by chance.316

thanks guys
you need to connect camera to reverse light , the camera power source is from your monitor.then when you bacckup ,the camera will be in reverse automatically. this vendor may help you ,to find pdf instruction.
http://www.vardsafe.com/