Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Tail of the Dragon - April 28 - Benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Eric, glad you are going to join us, you will love the Dragon'

Brian, happy to see you on the list. We missed you on the last trip. I am really happy with the wheels, thanks.

You guys bring the total to 12. I think some of the guys from another forum will join us, not sure at this time. I am hoping Robbie (black GT from our Greensboro meet) will join us. He is the one who invited us to the Pro-Dyno, the Snake and VIR.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
Eric, glad you are going to join us, you will love the Dragon'

Brian, happy to see you on the list. We missed you on the last trip. I am really happy with the wheels, thanks.

You guys bring the total to 12. I think some of the guys from another forum will join us, not sure at this time. I am hoping Robbie (black GT from our Greensboro meet) will join us. He is the one who invited us to the Pro-Dyno, the Snake and VIR.
Looks like another awesome drive come April!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

I was thinking the same thing about an Auto GoPro, really cool, but not going to be used enough for the $200some they cost.

Would there be any interest in getting a club GoPro though? I feel like we could easily get people to throw in a little bit for it if the interest is there. We could keep it with someone and if they cant make a cruise then ship it to someone who will be there.

Any interest in that?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
brian9031
1st Gear Member

Alan i'll be going to pro dyno cruise and dyno day in feburday there should be problem 10 to 14 cars from POP.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
I was thinking the same thing about an Auto GoPro, really cool, but not going to be used enough for the $200some they cost.

Would there be any interest in getting a club GoPro though? I feel like we could easily get people to throw in a little bit for it if the interest is there. We could keep it with someone and if they cant make a cruise then ship it to someone who will be there.

Any interest in that?
Is there any benefit to that over a conventional digital video camera? I would go for the suction cup mount, looks like a neat piece and isnt expensive. I can machine a piece that uses conventional camera mount threads (1/4-20) and adapts to their suction cup mount as an alternate.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Is there any benefit to that over a conventional digital video camera? I would go for the suction cup mount, looks like a neat piece and isnt expensive. I can machine a piece that uses conventional camera mount threads (1/4-20) and adapts to their suction cup mount as an alternate.
Ummm...I'll check into the benefits of it, but from what I've seen:

- Great quality video (achievable through both).
- Durable (depends on the mount system rigged for the digital).
- Wind Noise Cancelled. That's the drawback of in car video, all the sounds of the road and car are muffled. Outside camera placement would be constant wind noise, but I think the GoPro will eliminate that (not sure).
- Can't forget waterproof as well if the weather turns on us.

EDIT: http://gopro.com/videos/auto/ That video shows the picture and sound quality of them. If we could get something close to that with a conventional camera, I'm all for that as well!

Last edited by HT; 01-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I think another advantage of the GoPro is weight as well, much more stable when mounted.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I looked into it a bit more, and I don't think we can get a capable full time video camera for any cheaper. I couldn't find anything about an active backgroud filter, but it does have a remote microphone input. They probably ran the mic inside the car, or maybe the casing has enough blockage to remove wind noise. I would be up for the camera, but only if we have 5 or so people doing it.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

I've had pretty good luck with my regular digital camera mounted on a cheapie WalMart tripod. I'm going to have to get another tripod though, cause this one is falling apart on me. The only problem is my camera will only run for 16 minutes at a time.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I have a camera that i can borrow that can shoot 1080p, but I think I am limited by file size to something less than the 16 minutes that you have. It would also be inside the car. The go pro would be nice to have from a roof mounted setting as well.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon - April 28 - Benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project