Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Wink Can someone point me in the right direction?

My husband has a 71 Grande named Lazarus. I think he's finally given up trying to Mach I it out and is going to sell it. However!

Under the HOOD it has a rebuilt 351c 2v that has been rebuilt with the finest parts available. A local mechanic who is also is a 1/4 strip racer (he knows what he's doing and is a genius with engines) has torn it down, is cleaning it up, reassembling it. It will be converted to a 4v.

Mechanic fully believes assembled properly it will put out 425-450 hp.

The FMX tranny has been rebuilt and hopped up.

The body of this car is too far gone as far as my husband is concerned

He has found a 69 coupe that he is right at this moment loading on a trailer to bring home.

It has a 302 w/auto trans.

The 302 is also an excellent engine and has been rebuilt with the best parts around.

However, my husband wants to put the 351c/tranny from the 71 into the 69, sell the shell of the 71 and the guts from the 69 separately.

How much of a PITA is it to swap from a 302 to the 351c? I realize this is probably far more information than anyone really needs, but I was trying to foresee any questions and answer them here. I would appreciate it if anyone would point me in the right direction for a swap guide, or general information article. We realize the exhaust will have to be changed, bolt holes, and possibly something done to the shock towers, but beyond that, e don't know. I told him he should talk to our mechanic friend, but he's hardheaded, thought I could find it on the net in 30 seconds and give him a quick answer. *pauses to beat him*

Please let us know! Personally, I think he should finish Lazarus and leave the 69 alone, but hey, whadda I know? I'm a girl. *EG*
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
JamesW

Sounds like your husband is making the right choice. if the body is gone on the 71, then cutting your losses and moving to a better bodied 69 will be much cheaper and less stressful. Paint and Bodywork are the real money sink holes on these cars.

swapping the motors is not difficult at all. The parts are easily available for those cars to do the swap. there is nothing mystical about it. No major cutting/redesign involved.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Easy bolt in deal. Same mounts as the 302, the bell housing on the transmission might be a bit small for the flex plate, then again it might not be, depends on which one it has. Headers from a 71-73 fit and as long as he has the brackets to mount everything, it isnt a big deal. My Cougar has a 2v Cleveland in it and its a 67, no cutting anywhere, dropped right in and bolted up like it was meant to be there.