Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

351 in a 67?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

What he ^^^^^^ said. That's it in a nutshell.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 AM
jc67
1st Gear Member

So..., this is the real question. How much power do I want? You know I really haven't thought about it like that. I am building my first muscle car. I am 57 and cost is not too much of a factor(my wife does not read this forum, so I can say whatever I want). It is time I get to build a car. So far it's painted, sound deadening sprayed in and out, undercoating, trunk and engine bay same as the car Springtime Yellow. I rebuilt an 04 Cobra IRS using a TrueTrac lsd, and all the bushings replaced with Delrin/UHMW bushings,
alot of other stuff. The front is a Phase 3 setup from RRS and Randall's Rack power rack and piniion steering. All of the parts have been ceramic coated, powder coated, or painted as appropriate. Stainless steel suspension bolts cap off the look and longevity. Subframe connectors welded in and X brace from Total Control.
It has been fun so far and this is the first time I have been asked, "how much power?" Well whenever I think about it 450hp has always been a good #. But, 600 is more and a 21st century muscle car should have at least that much. I never thought that there could be too much power in a muscle car but I also have never driven a car with more than 400hp and that was a M3 BMW and it handled so sweetly. I guess I better think about the ride a bit more before I make the decision to go over 450. Thanks for the ideas. I probably will do the 351W as there is always a chance for growth later with forced induction. The Boss block and other good components will make it safe to add more power later if I desire. Actually I will probably sell it as soon as it is done so I can start another project. That may sound crazy but building the thing has been really been fun to this point.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I enjoy the build too, but I rarely sell them. Sounds like you have a decent car to stuff some power in and have fun. If you want a bunch of power, and driveability like a new car, then go with EFI and a couple turbos hanging off the front. You dont have to build a radical engine that way, just a solid one that can take the boost. The EFI tames it quite a bit and you can dial up the power with more boost. Those cars are nice and docile until you push the loud pedal, then they get nasty. The aftermarket block would be the best choice and CPR can probably give you some great advice on a turbo build.

My personal choice would be to run it on either E100 or E85, you will make more midrange and bottom end power, wont have cooling issues, nor would it have detonation or preignition problems. Additionally it wont leave carbon deposits in your engine and your oil changes can be less frequent because there isnt a bunch of black crap being dumped in it. If its available in your area E85 is silly cheap for what amounts to race fuel. I can put you in contact with people who are making ludicrous power on the stuff. I make my own ethanol, and Im not into the political part of it, I just want cheap fuel that I can run boost or high compression on that wont tear up my engine. Something to consider if you want good power and excellent driveability.

If I had a larger budget such as yours, I would go with around 400ci, give or take a few cubes, forged bottom end, a well ported set of AFR heads, about 9:1 static CR, a cam with a wide LSA, and two hairdryers all on that block. Depending on the cam and heads, 600-800hp isnt out of reason.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:11 PM
jc67
1st Gear Member

I'm not too sure that the budget would handle the turbos at the outset but the 400ci build sounds like it wouldn't cost much more or any more than the 302 stroker and may even be an engine that could have the turbos added later if I keep the car and want that much more power. Thank you so much for the ideas and your willingness to share. If I could figure how to post pics I would but for some reason on the posting rules I cannot post attachments. Do you have any idea whats up with that? Do you have to have so many legit posts before you can add the pics?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I just use photobucket to post pics. Saves time from loading them to whatever site. Always willing to talk about cars and what would be a cool build. I got nothing better to do with my time, especially in winter.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Toploader Pony's

Guy's.
I have a 351C in my 68 fastback. Plenty of room. If you go with a stabdard shift then the selection of headers is reduced verusus if you go with an automatic.
I bought a set of conversion from dougs. Hooker also makes a set thats about half the price of what i paid but i wanted to make sure i had 3/8' flanges.

As far as which is better 351W or 351c. they are both good engines for different reasons. The 351C has valves the size of garbage can lids so it really breath's. Personally, I like the 351C.

Bellhousings are the same. 351C is still considered a small block and 6 bolt bellhousings for the 289, 302, 351W, 351C are all the same. 351C uses a 167 tooth flywheel. Of course, thats all relative to the bellhousing you use.

And yes, a 351C built properly will tach 8K. Do your homework and see what the NASCAR guys say. They will take a 351C over a 351W anyday

just my $0.02