Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1966 C4 transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM
hobbydude

Default 1966 C4 transmission Help

Hi tore down my 66 c4 to overhaul, reason lost reverse and couldn't find it, and leaking fluid,
fluid and pan was reasonably clean some sludge in crevices of servos reverse band and drum ok intermediate band was shot, but hat has me stumped is when removing the pump found a loose pin or needle rattling around in trans case about 3/16 dia 5/8 long looked at several exploded views cannot fined where it came from,

short version where in a 1966 c4 trans does this pin go if it does at all Thank You Dave
Attached Thumbnails 1966 C4 transmission Help-img_20170730_123650.jpg  
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hobbydude
Hi tore down my 66 c4 to overhaul, reason lost reverse and couldn't find it, and leaking fluid,
fluid and pan was reasonably clean some sludge in crevices of servos reverse band and drum ok intermediate band was shot, but hat has me stumped is when removing the pump found a loose pin or needle rattling around in trans case about 3/16 dia 5/8 long looked at several exploded views cannot fined where it came from,

short version where in a 1966 c4 trans does this pin go if it does at all Thank You Dave
Looks to me like the pin which is fastened to the gear selector quadrant which rotates through it's positions when the selector lever is moved from P, R, N, D, 2, 1. The rounded end of the pin engages the manual gear selector valve in the valve body. The pin is retained in the quadrant in some way. Either yours fell out, or some previous rebuild left it behind after replacing the defective quadrant. Having told my thoughts, I'll go look for one of my old Shop Manuals. imp
Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 AM
hobbydude

Hi imp Thanks for taking the time to help, I was leaning toward i being left from a previous overhaul, I have run into many problems on this car where the guys who worked on it didn't have a clue it takes 10 times more work to figure out and undo what they did , really makes me understand why its 50 hr to work on it, 75 if u watch 100 if u help and, 200 if u did some of the work already Thanks Dave