Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Getting lights and interior gauges back ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
wruben

Default Getting lights and interior gauges back ?

The 1970 mustang I have has a toggle switch for power on and another toggle to run the starter (start the car) . The previous, previous owner was setting up the car for road racing and seem to route around all of the normal electronic functions of the car. I have to turn the ignition key to unlock the steering wheel, but otherwise the key ignition is not functional. I am looking to get the normal fuctions of the car back....

I dont have any power to any of the accessories, lights, gauges, etc........ looking at the wiring diagram is starting to help but I am not sure if I need to go back to the factory key ignition or just power up the fuse block to get my lights, accesories back.???

Anyone deal with something like this?

WR
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 PM
NinjaMatic
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Getting lights and interior gauges back ?

If you're looking to bring your wiring back to stock: http://www.restoremustangs.com/Electrical-15.html

Or you can bust out your voltmeter, soldering gun, different gauges of wire and have at it. Of course it helps to know electrical. I don't think the previous, previous owner wanted any fuss with the stock wiring. Sounds to me like he just wanted to have everything on a toggle. Sounds a lot like my buddy and his Olds 442, lol. He has a toggle for each turn signal, hahaha - but it is pretty much just a track car he likes to take out every now and again on the street.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OOOOOboy......What a mess that wiring harness must look like. If it were mine, and I wanted it back to normalcy, I would get a painless wiring harness and hook everything back up to factory specs.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
NinjaMatic
1st Gear Member

Yeah... my bud is an Electrician - so he knows how to wire stuff, even tho it does look like sphagetti to me, he can read his own ancient heiroglyphs I guess. I swear I think he has to flip like 8 or 9 toggles before he starts the damned thing, lol. Well, maybe not that many... but it sure is funny.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 PM
wruben

Sounds good, I am thinking that I would prefer to be getting into a painless setup vs the idea of a helicopter style cockpit with toggle switches everywhere... Other than the cost and time of the painless, that would be my back up plan. It would be nice to have all fresh wiring in a 37 year old car... seeing I would love to get it to be as fuctional as possible.

The original wiring harness is right there and I feel like I should be able to hook it back up and repower the system, so to speak.. There is an aux set of gauges that is up and working for oil, water, and voltage, so I am not dying for the stock gauges to be back other than all of the lights that go with.. and the fuel gauge... I will have to dig in again here and see.. Thank you...
Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
wruben

Are you thinking of a specific mustang Painless harness or a Painless muscle car harness?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I was talking about the classic Mustang harness.
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog.php
Old 05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

I would definitely buy a painless harness. I decided to rewire my 66 chevy myself and it was a nightmare, your working with 40 year old connections and brittle 40 year old wires. Not to mention the ancient fusebox. Painless is the way to go.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:05 PM
NinjaMatic
1st Gear Member

When wiring my Pony the time comes... Painless the process shall be. (did i just sound like yoda?)

I can't wait before I rip into that! From headlights to taillamps and everything inbetween - i'm going painless. Even if half of it is still A-OK - I'd sleep better at night knowing her nervous system was brand new.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
wruben

Here is the information from Painless, they recommend the following harness for the 1969-1970 vehicles.

WR

------------------
Hello,

We do not offer a harness for the 1969-1970 at this time. We are working on one, but it will not be out until later this year or sometime next year. Painless does not suggest using any other Mustang specific harness built by Painless on the 1969-1970 Mustangs. As of now, our suggestion is to use the universal harness in a 1969-1970 Mustang if a harness is needed now.

PPPI Tech Support

Toll-free 800-423-9696 (from the USA and Canada)
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm central

Painless Performance Products
2501 Ludelle St.
Fort Worth, Texas 76105-1036

Local phone: 817-244-6212
Fax: 817-244-4024

www.painlessperformance.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:14 AM
To: Painless
Subject: RE: What about 1970 Mustang Coupe V8

Hello,

I was asking about the wiring harness on mustang forums.com and people have mentioned to get the classic mustang harness, will this work on a 69 or 70?

Thank you.

WR