Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What got you into Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM
ACADIST
2nd Gear Member

Default What got you into Mustangs?

What was it that got you Mustang fever?

For me when I was about 9 or 10 one of my mother's freinds had a '71 fastback (Mach 1? I would have never known). Ever since than it is the only car I have ever REALLY wanted. First car (I bought) was a '67 coupe, since than I have had an '85 5.0 LX, '96 V6, and now have another '67 coupe and another '67 chassis that may be a car again by the time my 4 year old can drive!! Someday I will get that green Mach 1................................
Old 07-04-2006, 03:12 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What got you into Mustangs?

i saw a 65 vert at a car show when i was about 8. my parents bought my car for my mom when i was 11.she didnt drive it cause no power anything when i turned 16 i had a choice of a 88 olds which didnt run or my moms 66 coupe. 3 days tinkering with it it was running and i never looked back
Old 07-04-2006, 03:23 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I thought to myself, "What's cheap, cool, and classic?". I started looking through same magazines for ideas, saw a YO winner Mustang and got the fever
Old 07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

In 1968 my neighbor had a 1967 beige Mustang covertible with luggage rack and the car fascinated me, though I never got up close to it, just saw it from across the street.

I began dating someone into classics and my interest developed strongly and I knew that my first classic would be a Mustang.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the little red 65 mustang convertible hot wheels was always my favorite, and the ac cobra even though i didnt even know what it was till years later
Old 07-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

When I was in college at the University of Texas at Austin back in 1964, the advertisements for the new Mustangs emergerd, and out of curiosity, I went to the Ford dealer in Austin and sat in a brand new Mustang. I asked the price, and it was something like 1,700. I was a poor college student, but swore I would own one of these some day. Well, I do.......
Old 07-04-2006, 07:23 PM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

Well it was alotta things. Ima Ford kid, I love how they built cars/trucks way back when. I first fell in love with a 71 cuda, but alass their a bit outta my price range by a couple bucks. So I looked elsewhere to get my fun. Saw that Gone in 60 Seconds movie when it came out and decided I had to have any kinda Mustang I could get, I realized the GT500 would be right next to the Cuda in price and fastbacks right now are outta the question has they are getting far and few between.

Oh and when I found out the Coupe I have was for sell, I talked to this girl I worked with and she got all excited about it...so then I talked to another girl I knew and she got interested quick...then I talked to another girl I know and she bought smacked me for having second thoughts on a Mustang....then after I bought it some girl who works at the bank I goto wanted to see it regardless of the condition...

See the pattern??
Old 07-04-2006, 08:06 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

my dad had a 65 stang and a 72 vette the vette was faster but the stang is the one i fell in love with....that turned into my car when i hit 15, then it got wrecked and i bought a 71 mach and thats what hooked me on the bigger body stangs. i like the 71 better the 65 i had, and that is what led me to get another 71.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

for me it was a car show about the time i was 6. there were "MILLIONS" (remember, i was 6) of old cars and the one i was instantly drawn to was a mustang (didn't know till a few years down the road). than it came time for me to get my first car and a friend was getting rid of an 86 4 banger (all i had to do was install a starter). this began my tinkering. the tranny was badly abused and there was a feed line to the radiator that was leaking bad. i had to put trans fluid in every day. found the probelm, fixed it and that night when i was at work the trans finally croaked. got it moving a few days later and instead of bringing it home so i could do a 5.0 swap i went to the dmv to get my papers done for my next car. on the way home the trans (drive gears, reverse still worked) poo'd out on my for the last time.

after destroying another ford and a chebby, i found an 89 4 banger 5 speed for 500 bux. DEAL! loved it.

than came the 66. my friend decided he couldn't work on both his 68 and the 66 so he sold it to me for a grand. while sitting in the dmv, i thought, good thing my 86 crapped out on me, i'd never have wanted this classic if i had done what i planned to the 86.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

One of this first things i can remeber as a kid was about 14 years ago (i was 4). My dad has a 2 car garage and the mustang you see below was in one bay, and his friend was stayin here for a month or so with his mint grabber blue '70 boss 302 was in the other. I can remeber being fasanated with the colors of the 2 cars, being complete and opposite, but still the nicest colors they put on cars. The boss is still about 3 miles away, and it is in 100% mint shape.

P.S....got another best of show trophy today with the mach...were showing these upstate ny chevy boys how it supposed to be done.

Quick Reply: What got you into Mustangs?