Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

It's ALIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
secondmustanger

Default It's ALIVE!

Thought I'd share results of this weekends tinkering. Previous post was couple shots of ethier and varoom the 289 2bl roared to live. Bad part residual gas in tank was stale dispite my having used stabalizer 5 years ago when put in storage man did that exhaust stink. Oh by the way, large hole in muffler equals large black (4 ft) snake, seems it didn't like it when the insides of the muffler started heating up. Tried to put it in gear and nothing thinking the C4 tranny is shot form sitting so long. Yep checked fluid with engine running not a drop. Gingerly look under tranny (RT Muffler hole) no evidence of leak, thought what the heck so went out Saturday night and picked up a few quarts of TF. Sunday morning opened the hood to put the fluid in Woa small (1 ft) brown cow snake sittin under hood on fender lip, sooo I said get and off he slithered. Poured in 5 quarts of TF fired up the old girl let it run a bit then slipped her into R and the tranny kicked in. Hmmmmm so I dropped her into N then slowly in D and she lurched forward but nothing else. Slid it into P and checked the fluid a little low so topped her off to full, let her run a bit then tried again down to D. The old girl moved slowly out of the car port and out the drive stopped a minute and thought wonder what she'll do on the road (still no noise from the rear main bearing that I was told in 2001 was going out) so I took her on the road a piece (0.4 mile to the corner and back). Engine was struggling some but I think due to old and new gas mix. Up the road and back though without any problems. Left her sitting in the middle of the yard the rest of yesterday afternoon to get some sun, and let anymore crawlers vacate the premises. Drove her back in the carport no leaking TF noticed where she was sittin.

Not sure about the engine now since I'm not hearing anything on Idle it has 98,000 orginal miles on it and only had lifters and valve seals put on it back in 2000. What had occured in 2001 was while going up very small grade on interstate the engine lost power and oil pressure and wanted to die at 55mph ok driving around in town driving though. Had it looked at and the mechanic said "sounds like your rear main bearing is goin out." I came home and put it in storage then till I figured out what to do with it rebuild or new engine. I'd rather have it rebuilt but having trouble finding someone that does that sort of work in Richmond, ky.