Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

floor pan replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: floor pan replacement

If the pans are the only thing rusted through, then just cut them out one at a time and replace it before moving onto the next pan. Now would be a good time for you to learn to weld. It's really not all that hard with the modern mig welders on the market today. We have a site in the FAQ section for a free welding course.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
MC
2nd Gear Member

You said it. do that yourself. half the joy of restoring a classic is knowing your hands are the reason why she's gunna look as good as you picture..You can't pay for pride like that. I'm doing almost everthing myself incuding paint,body, welding everything i can. if you mess up, do it again. You'll be glad you did...Good Luck!
ORIGINAL: Soaring

If the pans are the only thing rusted through, then just cut them out one at a time and replace it before moving onto the next pan. Now would be a good time for you to learn to weld. It's really not all that hard with the modern mig welders on the market today. We have a site in the FAQ section for a free welding course.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
65 Fastaback

Hello,

I didn't see this on the previous posts and not that you didn't already think of it or that we assumed you thought of it just remember -
when working with a torch, plasma cutter, etc,., REMOVE YOUR GAS TANK AND FUEL LINES!!!! It takes just one spark.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Good point, and a point that we only assume a welder type person would think of.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 AM
ACADIST
2nd Gear Member

This the kind of thread I love......Full of good useful information. I am about to start this process myself and plan on teaching myself, with a little help from my friends. My main plan is to take the peices I cut out and practice my welding technique (old and rusty in itself) on those pieces. OK, here is my question......what is the best way to seperate the pan (I only need the panels under the feet in the front seats) from the frame rail? I have been taking my time to start this one, I prefer to think of it as planning rather than procrastination.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The floor pans are spot welded. You can either drill out the spot welds, or use something like a plasma cutter or even a reciprocating saw to cut out the old pan.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM
428coupe
2nd Gear Member

Buy a spot weld cutter, it is a drill bit that looks like a small hole saw. Also use an air chisel. A grinder with a cutting wheel or sawzall is also required
Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

This is a good article on floor pan replacement.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...1_pan_replace/
Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
nuts4fords

I have a question, let's say that the cowl is not rusted out and you just want to stop anything further from happening. Is there any way to get in there to put sealer or paint to protect from future rusting??
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

This looks like the ticket for rust protecting hard to reach areas.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ProductID=1119

Quick Reply: floor pan replacement