Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine and Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:11 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Engine and Tranny

allow the band to ride closer to the drum so they apply quicker resulting in firmer shift with less slippage theres on ly one band in a c4 also u can get the shelby style servo and a shift kit and stall converter to help beef one up
Old 12-02-2006, 11:56 AM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

Not sure if it's still available, but if you can find a can of K&W Trans-X, it's really good stuff. Follow Soaring's advice, and if you can find it, toss in a can of the Trans-X. I'm not into additives and all that kind of stuff. It was my buddy whom I lost a bet to, that convinced me it really works. Since that time, I've run it in 5 or 6 old C4's and one C6, and damned if the stuff doesn't work very well. It's saved me way more than the lunch I had to buy the bum, so I don't feel too bad!
Also get a good service manual that shows you how to adjust the bands. That's critical for longevity of a C4.
C4 is a very easy transmission to rebuild. It is a great one to learn on.
Good luck,
Whats it do though?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

Not sure if it's still available, but if you can find a can of K&W Trans-X, it's really good stuff. Follow Soaring's advice, and if you can find it, toss in a can of the Trans-X. I'm not into additives and all that kind of stuff. It was my buddy whom I lost a bet to, that convinced me it really works. Since that time, I've run it in 5 or 6 old C4's and one C6, and damned if the stuff doesn't work very well. It's saved me way more than the lunch I had to buy the bum, so I don't feel too bad!
Also get a good service manual that shows you how to adjust the bands. That's critical for longevity of a C4.
C4 is a very easy transmission to rebuild. It is a great one to learn on.
Good luck,
It's snake oil just like any other additive. It's supposed to stop hard shifts and leaking, but it doesn't. Here is an interesting law suit that was filed against K&W.
http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...82202.llc.html
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

This coming from a guy who says he puts additive in his gas tank at every fill up.

I take it from your comment here that you have first hand knowledge, not just a small claims court case where the guy was given back his $6.25. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Glen, you slay me sometimes! lol

As to what it does:
Here's the web site with MSDS sheets etc.
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont...?PN=402916&S=Y

IIRC, the stuff I used had some Tolulene,Xylene, some ethylbenzene and a few types of alcohol, and probably some trace amounts of voo-doo (that make you feel better Soaring? ). The first three disolve sludge deposits, and soften/swell rubber. The alcohol should be a carrier for their super secret voo-doo ingredients .
It's not a panacea for anything that ailes you, but it did make a notable difference in my useage (commercial fleet vehicles).
YMMV,

Scott