Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A New Poll!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A New Poll!

yup and didn't you know they make your car go faster???
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

Man seven hundred bucks would pay for my front fender and both of my quarters! And my other patch panels!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

One of the things I don't like about my Mach is the prop up rod to keep the hood open. But, I guess the Ford engineers knew what they were doing. That would be your ceapest and probably safest bet to keep the hood from twisting.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

This is a question best answer through experience and with pictures.

I have a fiberglass hood with a metal frame.
I chose to use the light weight springs.

When it was brand new, it fit perfect, now that it has been on the car for about a year,
even with the lightweight springs it has started to cause a slight bow in the hood, I have been considering adding the prop rod over the winter before it gets too bad.

11 months or so after painted (sorry for the large size so I linked it instead of imbedding it)
http://www.dodgestang.com/newmustangimages/img0266.jpg
Dodgestang - your picture, and experience, speak a thousand words. Despite the popularity of the springs, I'd like to not take the chance with bowing the hood. Looks like a prop rod is in order...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I don't mean to hi-jack but since it seems that the thread subject has already been resolved I have a pretty stupid question: When the fiberglass gets painted and you rub your hand along it do you still get the splinters or does the paint cover that up? Just wondering...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Hmm, I always enjoy looking at your car dodgestang. Im thinking about a shelby hood..... or at least a new metal hood, and buy a shelby scoop, and fiberglass it to the hood. My old hood is fried.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

Hmm, I always enjoy looking at your car dodgestang. Im thinking about a shelby hood..... or at least a new metal hood, and buy a shelby scoop, and fiberglass it to the hood. My old hood is fried.
Well...I do tend to post alot of pictures....but then again...I am so darn inarticulate I need them to prop me up and make me look intelligent...or at least distract people from my idiocy.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67Sally

I don't mean to hi-jack but since it seems that the thread subject has already been resolved I have a pretty stupid question: When the fiberglass gets painted and you rub your hand along it do you still get the splinters or does the paint cover that up? Just wondering...
A fiberglass needs alot of prep before painting.

My underside is unsanded...and I've never run my hand on it but on the finished side...its just like another part of the car in texture....except a magnet doesn't stick to it. However even on the unsanded, unjelled, unsmoothed underside, if you ran your hand on it you should not pick up fiberglass splinters.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

Anyone Tried These?

They look nice.....
Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

my hood actually stays up without anything holding it up but when i actually start driving it im gonna go with a prop rod to make sure the hood doesnt get warped from springs

Quick Reply: A New Poll!