Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Assembly - day 2.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Assembly - day 2.

Day 2 of install.

A very productive day. It started shaky but got rolling at lunch time and I didn't finish till about 7 pm.

I had to take the daughter to get her braces adjusted so that put me behind right out of the gate this morning. We finaly got out of there about 10 am or so. By the time I dropped her at school and made it to the shop to get a few things before I headed to the stereo shop it was nearing 11 am.

I took the stereo in and told the guy what I was experiencing and he took it in the back. About 3-4 mins pass and he comes out with a **** eating grin on his face and said there was nothing wrong with it and for me to come in the back and see. Sure enough, it was working. I asked if he did anything and he said no. I made him give me the pigtail he used because I could only assume it was that - that was giving me a hard time.

I got back and used my pigtail and just hooked up another speaker we had laying around and it worked. Hmm, ok - no biggie, I'll hook up my speakers now and see. They work. Ok, now I'm a little confused. I didn't do anything different than I did the day before but now it's working.

I just shrugged it off as I had alot to do that day and could not **** and moan about it. However, during the day, my friend and I talked about it and we can come to only one conclusion and thats that the guy at the stereo shop did something to adjust the stereo from 2 ch. to 4 ch. Either way, I did nothing different, absolutely nothing and it worked.

It's not over yet, I'll be damned if I get made a fool when it was not my doing and lastly, he already stuck it to me with not including the instal in the price. Anywho - that's for a rainy day because I had way too much to do.

We busted out the stereo install and dash. The dash fought us every inch and finally decided to give in. It looks absolutely perfect.

Next we cleaned the whole interior in preperation for the sound deadner. I used a padding that I got from the GA swap meet. It's about 3/4" think and has a celephane (sp) backing. I put it everywhere I could touch basicaly. I want it to work as advertised.

We had taken the carpet out of the box that morning and let the sun waken it up as we did our thing. It was nice and ready by the time we got to it. I was a little concerned in the beginning stages because it looked like the carpet was way short. We ended up only trimming a few very small pieces here and there. Nothing major. The carpet didn't get glued, but I did glue the padding.

Front kick panels were a chore. We ended up trimming those several times before they decided to fit. In all, I'm not completely satisfied with the ones I have so that might change down the road. I do like the speakers there, however.

We stopped there for today. This leaves us sill plates and seats for tomorrow. I did get the replecement cover in the mail late yesterday, so I will run the seat to the upholstery shop in the morning and get it back before the days end.

Once again I didn't get pics because the battery was still charging from me leaving it out of the charger the other day. I will get pics before we install the seats tomorrow. This is the final stages of what has turned out to be a 2 week venture and I'd like to document this part for sure. I'm too focuesd and foget the picture taking end of things. I promise I'll get some tomorrow.

I could not have done it w/out the help from my good friend. Bless him and his family.

Cheers.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 AM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Assembly - day 2.

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 12-13-2006, 03:32 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

yeah where are the pictures......yeah all you have are excuses, lol, jk

well im glad you got the radio problem fixed..... maybe it was broken or something and he switched them......at least it works now...

take pictures before you install the seats and then after i bet you will enjoy sitting in those new seats and listening to some tunes.....relaxation
ORIGINAL: jarrettdad

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 12-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford65stang

yeah where are the pictures......yeah all you have are excuses, lol, jk

well im glad you got the radio problem fixed..... maybe it was broken or something and he switched them......at least it works now...

take pictures before you install the seats and then after i bet you will enjoy sitting in those new seats and listening to some tunes.....relaxation
ORIGINAL: jarrettdad

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Ironicly, the stereo was more of a PITA than the metal work we did. All of this work was to rid the rust, the cosmetics were just the last stages. I want a rust free vehicle and I will have one by this time next year. I just couldn't afford to do the body/paint right now with the hollidays here. I already had the interior stuff in my garage and floor pans were 100 bucks. Next year I'll have a new project that I'm sure will take a little more than 2 weeks to finish

And about the pics. When you're ( me anyway ) focused on the job at hand, the minor stuff realy does not hit you until the day is complete, by then, I am too friggin tired and just want a cold beer and my chair, lol.

I have the cameera out this morning and it's charged. I'll be getting pics today