Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Removing Vent windows/Qtr windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default Removing Vent windows/Qtr windows?

[align=left]I need a little help here. As many of you know I am parting out my 66 coupe cause I'm being kicked out. I've gotten a bunch of parts off already, but I'm really having trouble getting to the last few things I wanna sell. I'm living out of my car now and the sooner I get the parts off the Stang, the sooner I can leave the house behind.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I removed the front window regulators the other day and was trying to take out the vent windows as well. For some reason, I couldn't pull them out. It felt as if something was holding it on the bottom of the door. Unfortunatly, my hands are too big to feel around in there and find out what the problem is. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]The other thing I need help removing is the quarter windows and reg's for them as well. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Clutch[/align]
Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing Vent windows/Qtr windows?

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

That sucks that you're getting kicked out, hope things change for the better soon.

I have never taken out my vents, only the windows.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Clutch, most vent windows are connected to the front track of the window glass, so they extend down into the door quite a ways. At the bottom there should be a bolt (probably 1/2 inch) that holds the bottom of the track in place. There could also be a small phillips srew at the top of the vent, under the weather stripping.

Once you have all the screws and bolts out that hold it on, and the window glass is out, you can remove the vent along with the front window track (if they are connected). The bottom mount for the window track sticks out a couple of inches at a 90 degree angle, making it difficult to just "pull out". You may need to slide the vent towards the back of the vehicle and turn/twist it at the same time to get it out.If the weather stripping at the bottom of the inside and outside of the door glass is removed, it might be a tad easier.

Hope my info is somewhat accurate, it's been awhile since I had to open one up.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

I was thinking about it and looked thru a manual. I might just have to remove the window itself before attempting to take the vent window out.

Thanks, I'll let you all know how it goes!

P.S.
They'll be for sale when they come out!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

You have to take out the door glass before the vent window assembly can come out. To take out the door glass, make sure its rear track is unbolted so it can fall to the bottom of the door. The vent window assembly is held in by three or four bolts, one of which is allen headed, with a nut over it for locking purposes. The allen head bolt is the front window track adjustment so try to screw the allen head bolt in as far as it will go. You could be hung up on that one.