Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM
MrMainEvent24
1st Gear Member

Default Stereo Install

I want to keep the original radio in the car, but it sucks and I have a whole new system that I want to put in. Where and how should I put this in with keeping the original radio in. I am open to all suggestions, just let me know what I am gonna need to do it. I have 2 subs, a headunit, 6x9s, 3 amps, and a 10 disc changer.

How would you guys do this?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stereo Install

It sounds like you will have to build a bracket to put the radio in the glove box or purcahse a radio that can be mounted under your seat/trunk and operated by remote control.

I have a 68 convertible that I am putting a system in that may be similiar to yours. All the amps (2) and the custom sub box are mounted in the trunk. I placed mdf on the trunk floor to give me a flat surface to mount everything to. I built a custom sub box for the trunk that will mount against the rear of the seat.Thenon the sides behind the wheel wells I made aamp rack for both sides. The amps will be mounted vertically and at the same angle as the sub box. I have 2 10's in the box. In the interior I have 6" kick panel speakers, deluxe door grills that I mounted 4 x 6 speakers and I put two 4" speakers in the sides of the custom center console I made by myfeet. My head unit will go in the original radio location for my 68.

With all the stuff you plan on putting in plan on loosing the spare tire like I did and not having much of atrunk left. I think I have just enough space for a small suitcase and a nitrous bottle.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Just for drill, this radio is going into a 19__ ________ .
Jim
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
MrMainEvent24
1st Gear Member

64 1'2 Mustang all original
4 speed
Old 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Here is how my 66 coupe is set up!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrMainEvent24
64 1'2 Mustang all original
Even the generator??? I'm guessing your three amps are pretty powerful and are going to be pulling a bit more current than the original generator (or alternator?) was spec'd to handle.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
james_topless67
2nd Gear Member

I have a 67 vert. It it possible to put subs in the trunk. Does the trunk back up to the seat back or is there a dead stop for the top to fold into. Will that affect the sound?

What can you add to the car to deaden the rear tire noise when the top is up?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: james_topless67

I have a 67 vert. It it possible to put subs in the trunk. Does the trunk back up to the seat back or is there a dead stop for the top to fold into. Will that affect the sound?

What can you add to the car to deaden the rear tire noise when the top is up?
I added dynomat type material to the whole car to eliminate road noise. The box was designed to mount behild the original cardboard divider between the well liner and the trunk. It is faily low profile and the top stops at the lip of the trunk opening and the bottom extends in the trunk 2 inches. I was originally going to go with 1 10" sub but I had reservations that top would disrupt much of the bass when it was down. I ended up going with 2 10's for that reason. I did not port the box because I wanted to have slightly less bass. The subs face toward the trunk.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I frequent the car audio section of the forum and this would be great there.

Ideally, you need to run an headunit, component speakers in stereo configuration, an amp for the comps, a sub, and an amp for the sub.

Many people in classics, including a friends 240z, mount speakers to the center console. If you just want noise thats one thing, but if you enjoy hifi stereo sound, speakers in the console will destroy your imaging. Rear speakers are also sometimes a good noise provider, but provide no benefit to nice stereo and any money allocated to the rears should be place on better quality front speakers, i.e. components. My pathfinder is huge and the only interior full range speakers I run are a CDT HD-62cf comp set with around 300watts RMS per channel. It is more then enough volume to make my ears hurt if you like that sort of thing.

If you can provide a budget and what type of music you listen to, there are a number of us in the car audio section that can recommend steller setups for any budget that will outplay anything you can buy at your typical local audio store.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM
rustycoupe
1st Gear Member

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ect/?start=all

Heres most of what I've doen so far on mine. It's not completely finished or updated. Ill update it in the coming week when we finish it up. Instead of the metal thing in the glovebox, I just made one out of mdf board (kinda wood) and it looks a lot better. PM me if you want pics later

Quick Reply: Stereo Install