Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

over heating question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:07 AM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: over heating question

being in vegas then you got some of the temps we get. i was hoping that id hear from someone that had the same problem and went to a electric fan and it solved the problem. 3/4 temps aren't really that bad when its 120 out, but the stop and go traffic is a worry. now 3/4 in stop and go traffic would be fine.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i love electric fans take less space move more air and dont rob power.one little trick i learned hook up a switch on the dash to run them incase the temp sensor dont work or your temp gauge is higher then you like.also what temp is your thermostat.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 AM
JamesW

What I've found is that...as long as your moving more than 20... fans don't do anything for you. I've got the spal unit and it works fine, but I've never experienced 120 degree days.

You live in an 'extreme' environment*S*
Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

james it depends on how many fans do they push or pull i seen a few benz had one on the front and 2 of the rear.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

Before you go the electric route spend about $40.00 on a Flex-a-Lite SS 10,000 rpm unit. It pulls air back so hard at idle you cannot adjust the idle circuits without putting a piece of plywood up in front of the carb to block the air flow. I am assuming you have an overflow resovoir and are using a 50/50 mix......have you used something called 'water wetter' or something like that? They say it works for about 10 degrees of temp.

P.S.
Do you run Mobil-1? If not you should start using the 15-50 RIGHT NOW!!! 120....wow...hope I never see those temps ever again.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 PM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

ive already bought the spal, including the fancy thermostat setup that mounts on the firewall. also bought a new 100 amp alternator and regulator to make sure it gets enough juice. the thermostat is 160
Old 07-01-2007, 11:07 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

I live in mesa,,,welcome to the party,,same issue,,,just flushed the heck out of system,,used the super flush stuff,,, I've gotta 200 6 popper , no shroud yet, getting same thing while usingan electric fan all the time,,, only time it seems to do the infamous cross to H is in really BAD stop and go crap, also found that dialing the temp on the ac down a hair helped alot,,, not sweating like a pig but not icey cold either,, just beats breaking down at the worst time, am going after the shroud next week and am getting an oil cooler from parts america ( checkers) for 80 bucks,,oil cooler thing is based on the idea that oil is the only thing that isn't really getting cooled and so even if it just makes a quick trip out of the block for a little while it will help,,,, just something to think about/consider
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
JamesW

See a lot of comments about WaterWetter on here ...

Here's the Redline webpage that explains how it works. Note that it's not something you just throw in on top of your 50/50 mix.

I've been using it with distilled water and just a splash of antifreeze for several years now.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_c...coolantFlash=1
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

yeah i have heard quite a bit about WaterWetter. guess it wouldn't hurt to add it to the radiator when i do the electric fan conversion. and yes i know what your saying about turning the ac down some. thats the screwed part of the deal. i finally converted all the factory ac to 134, hoses, sanden 134 compressor, new expansion valve, new dryer and a high efficient condenser. and even when its 125 out the ac blows cold. ill try the water wetter. ill have to check to see where i can buy it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
JamesW

Most bigger Autoparts stores carry it....

Don't faint when you see the price for that little bottle tho!

Quick Reply: over heating question