Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Mustang Restoration Price

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 AM
saverain

Default 1965 Mustang Restoration Price

Hi, I'm new to mustangs, new to the board and want one. I'm probably over my head but let's say I wanted a '65mustang that just ran great and looked decent, what would the price be? How much would it be to get an old mustang that berely runs to run great? I have about 5k right now. Any suggestions on what to look for in a used mustang?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1965 Mustang Restoration Price

What to avoid is a rust bucket. Where to look is e-bay and your local Craigslist. Both have advantages. E-bay has some levels of buyer confidence and a track record. A local Craigslist can provide you a direct look-see. I have my own list of preferences and things to avoid and things I should have done. One thing I should have done was take someone along to tell me - 'don't, it's not worth it'. Something else to consider, it took me almost ten years to get what I really wanted. In that time I got three other cars to play with.
Jim
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1965 Mustang Restoration Price

If you are looking for total cost of a used car tobuy and restore, look for a similar model for sale that is already in the final condition you seek. Add about 15% to 25% to that sales price and hundreds of hours of your own time and you'll get a pretty good indication what you're up against.

I am also into Jeeps, specifically rockcrawlers. I bought my TJ brand new and probably have another $15k or so into it and there are hundreds of guys just like me on the Jeep boards who have done the same. Many of them have gotten burnt out, lost interest or just needed the money and their toys are available all day long for less than you'd spend to recreate them. In other words, make certain that the restoration is part of the fun and worth the money you'll pay as opposed to purchasing a finished driver.

Good luck!
Jeff