Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine Runs, but leaks oil from the timing cover seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Engine Runs, but leaks oil from the timing cover seal

Whats the best way to fix it? Im really not happy about having to pull the cover off again.. Is there any other way? Also, what gaskets will I need to replace, and will I need to pull the oil pan completely off or can I do it with the pan still on and only have to pull the bolts that go into the timing cover.. My brother in law says I probably unfolded the seal when I installed it onto the shaft..

By the way,, the engine was loud as hell with only having long tube headers.. And it sounded great and ran great.. with oil pressure right at 50-55 once it warmed up.. But now I have to pull the front end apart again.. Damn the luck..

Any suggestions? [&o]
Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Runs, but leaks oil from the timing cover seal

It's got to come off. The seal go in from the backside. I wonder it you lost the spring. Either way, it's got to come off. Lube the seal next time if you didn't for the original install.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I lubed it the first time.... I just dont know how I goofed it up.. Maybe the spring did pop off.. The damn thing was just throwing oil all over the place..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Possibly missaligned also. It should have dowel pins in the block to align the cover. If not it can tear the seal, lube or not. But you never know til you pull it off.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I dont remember there being any dowel pins.. This sucks.. Its only $16 for the gasket kit at kragen but i dont want to pull the damn thing apart again.. Especially after I got it running..

PS.. My neighbors hate me..
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

Mine too,,,,I have had "Codes Enforcement" and the police visit my house over the last couple of months...

Codes said someone complained that I was running "an illegal mechanic shop", and the police came by one evening because someone complained about noise...

After talking with both of these guys for a moment they were a little bemused about the whole thing. So now I make sure to start the 66 at 9:55 each evening and rev the hell out of it for 5 minuites...

(Not really,,, but I will have to admit that I have considered it....)

<< And yes,,,, re-do's suck!!!!>>
Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

[align=left]Jim , you are funny. I would hate to have neighbors like that. I guess that's why I live on 5 acres in a rural area. The class 3 weapons don't bother anyone out here either I would fight the temptation of the 9:55 PM thing too.
ORIGINAL: JMD
[/align]
ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

Mine too,,,,I have had "Codes Enforcement" and the police visit my house over the last couple of months...

Codes said someone complained that I was running "an illegal mechanic shop", and the police came by one evening because someone complained about noise...

After talking with both of these guys for a moment they were a little bemused about the whole thing. So now I make sure to start the 66 at 9:55 each evening and rev the hell out of it for 5 minuites...

(Not really,,, but I will have to admit that I have considered it....)

<< And yes,,,, re-do's suck!!!!>>
Old 09-30-2007, 02:09 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

YEa,, I overheard one of my neighbors saying "was that him down there making all that noise" (pointing in the direction of my house..)

Before I noticed the leak, My wife was trying to get me not to do the break in for my cam because it was soo loud, she even took the kids for a ride, away from the house while i was doing the break in, so that if anyone complained she didnt have to be here.. it was funny..Im going to pull the front end apart tomorrow night, when I called Kragen and got them to hold my gasket set the guy told me he closed at 9 tonight, but they actually closed at 8 so I rented some movies to spend some time with the lovely lady instead of the bastard child in the garage..